Floored | Teen Ink

Floored MAG

By Anonymous

   "I just want to fly." And fly they did. Sugar Ray's hit song, "Fly," (featuring Super Cat) flew straight to the top of the charts after its release. "Fly" is one of the better songs I have heard this year and it has a great beat. Mixing rap with alternative music proved to be a spectacular combination. However, due to excessive air time on the radio, "Fly" has developed "overplayed syndrome" which is when a song is played so much that listeners almost become annoyed with a once liked song.

With the exception of "Fly," which was originally a superb song, "Floored" is one of the worst surprises a listener could possibly have gotten. The album is nothing more than heavy metal punk music, not a common association. "Fly" is the only song you will hear on the radio because, quite frankly, all the other songs are lurid. Right now the band's claim to fame is their one hit and their striking image, which appeals to young people. Other than that, they would have been thrown back into the mix of struggling bands still trying to get the attention of record producers.

Presently, "Fly" is number one. Unfortunately, the song is a tease, luring innocent listeners into thinking that the CD is filled with other splendid songs. If they are smart, they will buy the CD single and save money, or better still, just turn on the radio because they never stop playing "Fly."

What made the difference between shame and fame for the band Sugar Ray was one man, Super Cat. He is the voice behind the whole song. Without him the song would be nothing. If Sugar Ray could produce more songs like "Fly" and less heavy metal, they would gain more respect from listeners. Don't be tempted to buy "Floored" because of one song, it's not worth it. .