Everclear - So Much for the Afterglow | Teen Ink

Everclear - So Much for the Afterglow MAG

By Anonymous

   I mentioned to my friend that I loved "Father of Mine" and"I Will Buy You a New Life" by Everclear, so she lent meher "So Much for the Afterglow" album.

When I listened, however, all the other songs sounded the same. Onlythe two songs I already knew stood out. I didn't have the words tothe songs, which didn't help, since often they get lost in the music.If you can read the words, the song may take on a new, deepermeaning.

I decided to listen to the album again. And again. And again. Thefifth time I heard "White Men In Black Suits," the wordshit me. I listened to the rest of the album, really listening thistime. I realized these songs were strong commentaries on a hard life.How could I have thought these songs all sounded the same? Each wasso distinctive - the music, the themes, the words, the style.

I highly recommend this album but more than that, I strongly urge youto give any new music a chance. You may not like it the first time,but listen again. Read the words as you go along. Listen to themusic. You may discover something very moving, especially if you keepan open mind.