G I R L by Pharrell Williams | Teen Ink

G I R L by Pharrell Williams

By ashberz BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
ashberz BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Pharrell Williams has been dominating genres from rap, rock, and pop ever since the early 2000s. Leading in his band N.E.R.D with Neptune Chad Hugo and Shay Haley, music was forever changed. Pharrell decided to go solo with his first album, In My Mind, in 2006. Here we are in 2014 with exciting news of Pharrell’s second solo album, Girl. Different opinions were heard everywhere with his new production, but my personal opinion placed Pharrell in the category of musically genius.

Eight years later with soaring expectations, Pharrell does nothing but rise above. Ever wonder what a good album consists of exactly? Listen to the ten songs on Girl to find that answer. Pharrell puts the topic of women in a sophisticated manner, with lyrical matter that would flatter any girl. The mood in this album is uplifting, which cannot be denied when the Number One hit “Happy” blares through the radio.

The music and production behind a song often goes unnoticed. What makes Gwen Stefani’s “Hollaback Girl” or Nelly’s “Get Like Me” the sing along for most 90’s kids? That would be Pharrell and his prodigious ability to produce music. In Girl, we see Pharrell use his skill with tempos and beats with each song. The track list is full of hand claps assisted with a jazz essence, contributing to that light, happy mood. All of the songs are truly a joy to listen to, which comes as no surprise to any Pharrell fan. My personal favorite on Girl would indubitably have to be “I Know Who You Are” featuring Alicia Keys. The harmonization between the two is just what the doctor ordered. If you are looking for a good album, look no further. Pharrell Williams has done it again and I strongly suggest everyone take a moment to listen and appreciate that.