Where is the Love? | Teen Ink

Where is the Love? MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     This hip-hop group debuted in 1998 and has made three albums since then. Even so, many haven't recognized their talents until recently. The 2003 album "Elephunk" topped the charts with the hit "Where is the Love?" This song is rightfully referred to as a "state-of-the-world ballad" and became a universal success this past summer.

"Where is the Love?" features heartthrob Justin Timberlake, who helped this group send out a wake-up call to humanity. The song grabs our attention with a great beat and keeps us hooked with lyrics pointing out flaws in our society and world today. "Where is the Love?" addresses problems of discrimination, war, selfishness, cruelty and more. The song is an awakening to the horrible things humans cause.

Black Eyed Peas uses a soft form of rap that almost sounds like R&B to get their message across. Anyone looking for hardcore rap with a not-so-altruistic approach may not be interested in this song. However, even strictly country or classical music listeners will agree the lyrics are worth listening to. Black Eyed Peas' chorus keeps listeners focused on the underlying question few can answer: "Where is the Love?" .