Evanescence – | Teen Ink

Evanescence – MAG

In a world of over-processed voices and vulgar lyrics, finding real music is almost ­impossible, especially metal. Everywhere you turn, you see media drones smiling from the covers of CDs. Evanescence is a gothic metal act that has managed to stay true to itself and gained huge popularity. With its soulful blend of electric guitar, rhythmic piano, and mournful lyrics, it's easy to see why it's one of the best acts out there.

Amy Lee, the lead singer and songwriter, adds strong yet smooth vocals for a flawless finish. Though Evanescence is a relatively new band, they've gained a loyal following.

“Fallen” is by far the best and won them two Grammys for “Best New Artist” and “Best Hard Rock Performance” (for the song “Bring Me to Life”). It features other hits like “Going Under” and “My Last Breath.” These days, many songs are plagued by crude and pointless lyrics. The songs here reflect a multitude of emotions. Whether it's unrequited love or grief, Lee's voice portrays it.

I first picked up this CD because of the cover: a somewhat creepy picture of Lee's head in black and neon blue. Ever since, I've been enthralled by songs like “Tourniquet,” a stirring tale of betrayal and lost love, and “My Immortal,” an emotional blend of soft piano and somber lyrics.

Evanescence's songs appeal to gothic music fans everywhere, but they're not too hardcore for those unfamiliar with the genre. This album is truly a must-listen for anyone looking for something dark and emotive amidst a sea of substandard bubble-gum pop.

on Aug. 9 2009 at 12:30 am
annkaykay2011 DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan

"I am who I am, sorry, no changes."

Great review!

halfemoonie said...
I adore Evanescence and this review did them justice. Amy Lee is one of my idols-I'm a musician. Everyone should check out The Open Door CD too; it's friggin' sweet and Amy's voice just blows you away. =] Good job dude.

on Jun. 29 2009 at 1:02 am
GlassHeart SILVER, Black Earth, Wisconsin
I agree

ScribbleScribe BRONZE, Sewell, New Jersey
I love the songs Tourniquet and My Immortal!!!

Completely agree!

on Jun. 27 2009 at 2:28 am
brand*new*eyes SILVER, Saint Louis, Missouri

Misguided ghosts
Traveling endlessly
The ones we trusted the most
Pushed us far away
(paramore)

Evanescence is a legend. And you did them justice with this review! Amy Lee is inpirational; she writes meaningful lyrics, not about a football player dumping you... I'm sad that they're broken up.

ThereIsAlwaysHope GOLD, Belfast, Other

'Miles to go before I sleep'
- Robert Frost

Totally agree. Very well written. x

forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Evanescence is a really great band and what I like the most about it is that it's a band with a female vocalist---or "chick band". Amy Lee proves that woman could do anything men can, including being in the rock scene.

[And by the way:Great job on the review.] :]

BurningBright BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

Rise and rise again until lions become lambs. - Russell Crowe

This review was absolutely marvelous! You have such amazing grammar skills and you're very good with adjectives. I love everything about Evanescence, and I'm proud to say that I'm from their home state. They're one of my top favorite bands, and it's nice to see that they have such a wide fan base. Again, excellent job!

edwardtem13 said...
ok i liked the review, it is true that not many songs have good lyrics anymore. i love the fact that Evanescence is so dark.the difference between Evanescence and rap music ,Hannah Montana, and danity kane is that Evanescence is good.the rest stink.

Evanescence is a really good band also too you guyz should look up breaking benjamin....they r really a great band!!

Amyyy said...
Evanescence is AWESOME!!! You did a great job with your writing and thank you so much for writing about this artist!!!!!!

someday931 said...
on Feb. 1 2009 at 2:46 am
Evanessence is the best thing to listen to if your looking for something different but still good. My sister introduced the band to me when i was nine and I've been llistneing to them ever since. Call Me When Your Sober is my favorite song by them. Amy Lee is my idol.

Vexa said...
i LOVE Evanescence! they're my favorite band! Amy Lee is one of my idols, and they're just plain amazing! my fave song by them is My Last Breath, but i like them all. XD excellent review, too! ^_^ (i love how you mentioned that hardly anyone writes good lyrics anymore. XD)

wester3450 said...
This is still one of my favorite albums. I know a lot of people who think that Evanescence aren't good just because they're popular, but they really are talented. Good job!

bunty said...
Excellent article. well written. I wish it had some more details