Led Zeppelin IV | Teen Ink

Led Zeppelin IV MAG

This is the CD. Though originally released in 1971, the distinctive and varied songs are timeless. It has everything: hard (but not metal) rock with songs like “Black Dog” and “Rock and Roll,” funky blues in “When the Levee Breaks” and “Misty Mountain Hop,” and folk in “Going to California” and “Battle of Evermore.”

The incorporation of the harmonica, played by incredible vocalist Robert Plant in “When the Levee Breaks,” the mandolin played by guitarist Jimmy Page in “Battle of Evermore” and the use of four drumsticks by John Bonham in, you guessed it, “Four Sticks,” helps make each unique.

Every song is a masterpiece, especially “Stairway to Heaven,” arguably the best rock song of all time. Seven of the eight songs on “Led Zeppelin IV” were huge radio hits back when the album was released - not that surprising since this is still the fourth best-selling album of all time.

The creative intensity in both melodies and lyrics shine through in every song. The band’s amazing skills and style paved the road for harder rock bands including Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult. The lyrics contain no curse words, and actually make you think.

There is no musician or band today that comes close to Led Zeppelin’s greatness. What makes them truly brilliant is that all the songs were written by band members, mostly Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.

Even though it only contains eight songs, each is longer than average and much better than any around today. Whether you’re a Led Head or have never heard of the band, “Led Zeppelin IV” is awesome and a great addition to any music collection.

i love this so much!

terri said...
on Nov. 2 2013 at 6:53 pm
Excellent article. Led Zep IV is fantastic!