Flyleaf – “Flyleaf” | Teen Ink

Flyleaf – “Flyleaf” MAG

By Anonymous

“I will break into your thoughts, with what’s written on my heart.” Lacey Mosely begins with high-pitched, smooth vocals, drawing you into the soft sound of her voice. However, this lead singer of the alternative-metal band, Flyleaf, shows just what her band is about with the roaring, angry growl that follows. Through the strength of Mosely’s voice, accompanied by guitar, bass, and drums, you live the stories portrayed and drown in the emotions. The lyrics are truthful and penetrating, grabbing your soul and forcing it to comprehend.

Noted as a breakout band of 2008 by Rolling Stone, Flyleaf and its self-titled debut album are going to have you at the ­repeat button, replaying the haunting songs until this music is the only thing in your mind’s playlist. Of the 11 compelling, mesmerizing tunes, the most well-known is “All Around Me.” It’s an exhilarating song with a catchy chorus. After hearing it on the radio, I was convinced to get the album, and I’m extremely satisfied with my decision.

The other singles are “I’m So Sick” and “Fully Alive.” Both songs incorporate lots of drumming, with quick beats and captivating melodies. Though the songs make you energized, the lyrics are deep and powerful, giving the songs both excitement and depth. The words are intense, penetrating stories of tragedy, allowing you to clearly visualize the meaning of the songs.

“Cassie,” an emotional song with a bold tune, is possibly the most touching. Telling of a girl who died for her faith in God, the lyrics move you in a way only possible with strong words and a strong voice. Mosely’s soul bleeds out onto the track, the force of her pain-filled screams echoing throughout, making the song even more powerful.

Though Flyleaf has obviously mastered hard-hitting, thrilling tunes, their platinum debut album includes ballad-type songs that are also worth a listen. “So I Thought” is an entrancing song with a soft melody and a calming feel to the melody and lyrics. “I tried to kill you, you tried to save me” are lines from “Perfect,” a song that grabs your attention with the lyrics and enhances the already brilliant CD.

Some tunes do sound similar in the sense that Mosely’s voice doesn’t vary from song to song, but as a whole, the album will become etched in your mind. With an exceptional vocalist and talented musicians, Flyleaf is a remarkable band that will be sure to crawl their way up to your list of favorites.

Unlike bands that incorporate good beats but have cliché lyrics that make you nauseous, or have somewhat meaningful words, yet a dreadful sound, Flyleaf is a rare find. With aggressive music and inspiring lyrics, every listen is an experience that will leave you counting the seconds until you can again fill your ears with their electrifying music.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 30 comments.


on Oct. 16 2012 at 8:36 am
JaceyCrims BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
We all have our personal hells, but it's only when you can find your own heaven you'll make it through.

Great review, I saw Flyleaf live for a concert they were doing down an Air Force base so it was a little odd, but I loved hearing their music. You captured what they're all about in few words and I look forward to more of your reviews.

on Jan. 4 2012 at 6:28 pm
callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon
3 articles 21 photos 424 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Great review! I've been meaning to chech them out for a while, and now I'll be sure to give them a listen ;)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 5:14 pm
PointOfNoReturn SILVER, :D, California
9 articles 7 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened(:

Flyleafffff. My love. My favorite music... she is so amazing and her songs truely make sense. You can make the songs religious if that's what suits you.. or even about someone you love if you aren't religous. <3 it

on Aug. 3 2011 at 3:37 pm
EmptySoul SILVER, Milaca, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
No one can hurt me as much as I can hurt myself.

Very well written review.

Flyleaf rocks!


Notyou said...
on Aug. 3 2011 at 6:35 am
Notyou, 4, Oregon
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
same here! i adore them! haha :D

on Nov. 12 2010 at 11:11 am
malfunctionarymonkey13 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 10 comments
FLYLEAF IS MY LIFE!!!

on Oct. 21 2010 at 5:01 pm
BeautyandBeast BRONZE, St.Peters, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mom: I learned my lesson, I had three of you!
Daughter: You didn't learn your lesson, you had three of us!!! lol :D

I LOVE FLYLEAF!!!!!

on Jul. 25 2010 at 12:10 am
EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas
1 article 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

It's funny to me, Christianity, although I was born and raised in it, it died to me.

Even though I disagree on those grounds, I still find her voice to be beautiful and the words inspiring...

Just cause I don't have faith, doesn't mean no one should ^-^


on Jun. 30 2010 at 9:18 pm
createakristen SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas
5 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There isn't a person on this planet who should let a past nightmare dictate or cloud their future dreams." -CM Punk

That's true. But then again this album was in 2005, the same year I saw them, and her screaming was fine. So maybe it's all the years of going through the yelling.

on Jun. 30 2010 at 9:16 pm
createakristen SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas
5 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There isn't a person on this planet who should let a past nightmare dictate or cloud their future dreams." -CM Punk

Well, I've known Flyleaf's music since I was seven, and I'm thirteen now. And since then I've been waiting for someone to feel the exact same way I did. They were my very first concert, and I love them. Good review!

on Dec. 5 2009 at 2:17 pm
alvina PLATINUM, Punta Gorda, Florida
21 articles 0 photos 14 comments
this is a good review! i love flyleaf (i just got into them) and what youre saying is true well done!!

on Dec. 1 2009 at 3:38 pm
FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado
51 articles 0 photos 203 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

Well, in her defense, a lot of artists sound horrible live because they don't have the trainer with them to say, "Whoa, you are a half step too high." Plus, she might have been tired, tours are long.

Jessicaaaaa. said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 2:27 pm
Yes their CD is really good and all, but they are HORRIBLE live. Mosely cannot sing live like she can in the studio. She just can't do it. It sounds like she's gargling Lysterine when she tries to scream live. It was bad. Hopefully she was sick that day, because they were horrible at that show...

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Nov. 23 2009 at 3:48 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 407 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

Whats not to like? Certainly not the band or your review! Wonderful job.

God bless,

...,

on Oct. 8 2009 at 9:00 pm
FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado
51 articles 0 photos 203 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

YES! FLYLEAF IS THE BEST BAND EVER. Their passion for God mixed with hard rock draws people to it, to find the deeper meaning to all of their songs. I GET TO GO TO THEIR CONCERT ON NOVEMBER 7 @ FOZ THEATRER IN BOULDER!!!!!

on Jul. 18 2009 at 3:48 am
RadioShower PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
23 articles 5 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
Emo is imaginary - Gerard Way
Normalness leads to sadness -Phil Lester (AmazingPhil)

I LOVE FLYLEAF SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH HAVE YOU HEARD HER SCREAM? LOVE IT! that was beautifuly done!!!

on Jul. 14 2009 at 9:52 pm
D..j.. PLATINUM, Clifton, New Jersey
26 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is not what you are or how much you own, but who you are.

flyleaf is my all-time favorite band. some of their songs are:

i'm so sick

perfect

fully alive

so i thought

sleepwalker

breathe today

whispering fingertips

tina

cassie

all around me

eyes to see

amy says

ocean waves

penholder

sorrow

life

broken wings

believe in dreams

stay (so far away so close)

again

red sam

and covers including

nine inch nail's something i can never have

what's this

nirvana's smells like teen spirit

crowder

you are my joy

hillsong

and from the inside out

on Jul. 1 2009 at 12:20 am
Megatron SILVER, Creswell, Oregon
6 articles 0 photos 9 comments
I LOVE Flyleaf, and you did a great job on this review. It captured the feel of Flyleaf's music perfectly!

on Jun. 27 2009 at 2:34 am
brand*new*eyes SILVER, Saint Louis, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
Misguided ghosts
Traveling endlessly
The ones we trusted the most
Pushed us far away
(paramore)

love, love, love flyleaf. they have amazing lyrics that have meaning with angry beats which make a perfect mix for when you have a sucky day. i love the story behind Cassy. Lacey rocks! you made me go out and buy the CD. I read this a few weeks ago and looked them up on Youtube, then went out and bought the CD. Now I'm hooked! Amazing job!

on Apr. 18 2009 at 2:15 am
Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
31 articles 9 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde

This was great.

Flyleaf is a great band and this review was very well written.

I loved your wide vocabulary and your creative terminology.

You sounded like a true critic writing.

I'm clapping with bright green mittins.