Concert Review by Shania Twain- STILL THE ONE at Caesars Palace | Teen Ink

Concert Review by Shania Twain- STILL THE ONE at Caesars Palace

May 11, 2013
By codyjendro GOLD, Temecula, California
codyjendro GOLD, Temecula, California
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give It All While You've Got The Chance"-Shania Twain


It's been eight long years since country pop superstar Shania Twain has taken the stage. In early summer 2011, the singer announced that she would be returning to the stage while headlining a two year residency at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas starting December 1, 2012. It is no secret that I am one of Shania Twain's biggest fans and have been since a very young age. This announcement was especially exciting for me and I just had to get tickets.

The show started with a video of Twain riding a black horse through the desert. That horse quickly turns to a fierce motorcycle when she hits the gravel road. Soon the entertainer enters the stage propelled in the air on a motorcycle identical to the one previously displayed on the screen. The singer confidently starts off with her 2002 hit, “I'm Gonna Getcha Good.” The crowd gives Twain her first standing ovation of the night. She hasn't even said a single word and the crowd
is already in love. The star is seen wearing a sparkly catsuit that is
identical to the one in the music video for the song. Twain performs the song for the 4,000+ person audience with no signs of nerves. She's back and better than ever. (Twain has been very open to the public about vocal issues she started having in 2004.) Clearly, her voice has fully recovered because Shania is hitting all the high notes.

She briefly talks to the audience after the third song, “Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)” finishes. She thanks the audience for their support and joining her on a very special night. After song four, the lights are dimmed and the stage is silent for a few seconds. Soon the audience sees Twain trotting out on a black horse, riding onto a set that is inspired from an old country saloon. Shania breaks into a hit that has never been performed live before, “I Ain't No Quitter.” Twain dances along with her four back up dancers and makes the stage come alive.

At the start of her first number one hit, and a concert staple at that, Any Man of Mine Twain makes a trip into the audience. She touches the hands of exhilarated fans that are seated closely to the stage. At this point I can not stop screaming and singing along with the artist who I have waited so long to see. Shania performs a few other hits and really brings out her country side through the next few numbers. After a few seconds of instrumentals and a somewhat risque video of Twain dancing around a leopard print chair fit for a queen, Twain struts onto the stage in the leopard hooded outfit she is seen wearing in her music video for “That Don't Impress Me Much.” The song begins and the crowd is on their feet for the longest time at this point into the show. Shania is Following her song, “(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here” Twain disappears through a door.

Twain then comes out and greets the audience wearing a gray top cutoff shorts and boots. She has a conversation with the audience about why she agreed to do the residency. She states that her sister was one of the biggest factors to why Twain is up on the stage. Shania explains that she also got her sister (Carrie Ann) to be one of her three back up singers for the two year run. She then invites her backup singers Dan and Ryan out. Shania performs an a Capella version with them of The Hollies hit “Carrie Ann.” She then invited her sister out to a campfire set on the stage. During the segment Shania asked multiple people up on stage to do a few songs with her. While performing the set of songs, the smell of a campfire was cast upon the audience. While around the campfire, Shania introduced the only new material she has for the show. The acoustic version of “Today Is Your Day” a song written by Twain which she wrote to inspire and “cheer” herself up, really showed off her voice.

A more stripped down “Rock This Country” a song Twain used to close her shows with was played as the final song around the campfire. Twain then walked off the side of the stage accompanying the fans back to their seats. After more instrumentals from Shania's band fill the room. Then a fluster of snow like confetti fill the room after a video of a horse escaping a forest fire is shown on the video screen. Shania rides out on another horse, but this time white. Twain starts arguably the biggest hit of her career, “You're Still the One.” During the song, Shania serenades the horse in the center of the stage.

She rides off after the song, and comes back to perform, From This Moment On. This song is known for its numerous high notes. Twain nailed each note like she did ten years ago. I was blown away as was the rest of the audience. From This Moment On ends and Twain returns for a final time with the crowd fun “Man! I Feel Like A Woman!” The entire crowd is on their feet moving to the song. Such an amazing way to close the show. After a bow, Twain waves goodbye to the very pleased crowd.

The show was beyond spectacular and well worth the wait. Each piece incorporated into the show, the music, and sensory made it incredible. Shania Twain is back, no doubt!


The author's comments:
I am a huge Shania Twain fan, and was able to witness her triumphant stage return. This review was written in December 2012, shortly after I saw the opening night of her Vegas residency. Thought I shoild post it here, hope you all like it!