Jake Bugg by Jake Bugg This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Who is Jake Bugg? In America, the name is unknown. To those in the U.K., it's associated with one of the up-and-coming singers of the 21st century. I believe that by giving this album a chance, American listeners will discover an underrated and very satisfying collection of songs.

What makes Jake Bugg's self-titled album so special? It's all in his ability to take old elements and turn them into something new. As a country/folk singer, it is very easy to slip into the river of mainstream, but that doesn't happen in this album. Bugg instead turns to masters of the past, like Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, for ideas. He is also influenced by ballads from Oasis and The Beatles. Together, it makes a pleasing combination.

The album begins with the Johnny Cash–style tunes “Lightning Bolt” and “Taste It.” “Lightning Bolt” shows off Bugg's ability to sing at many volumes. It's followed up by the feel-good “Two Fingers,” which tells the tale of Bugg's family struggles and how he gets past them.

While Bugg begins with a bang, the rest of his album proves more melancholy and gentle, which is not necessarily a bad thing. “Seen It All” features Bugg's vocals at their finest, as well as an Oasis-like instrument solo. Bugg's slick vocals take full control in “Someone Told Me,” and the intense feelings expressed can make one shiver. “Simple as This” and “Slide” should be included alongside this album's best tracks too.

Often folk music is tossed away as old-fashioned and a thing of the past, but this teenage artist is out to change that. After listening to this album, I strongly believe Bugg is capable of doing so.

super8This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 5:40 pm:
Thank you all for your kind comments! Glad to hear you enjoyed the review and Jake's music. It means a lot to me! 

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 20 at 8:38 pm:
So, I read this and went on Youtube to look up this Jake Bugg guy. I actually like him already! I totally agree with you, and this is coming from someone who never listens to folk music. :) Oh and this music review in general, very well written! Great job, and thanks for introducing me to Bugg :)

east_of_adaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 18 at 7:11 pm:
i LOVE jake bugg. he just looks and sounds so precious. his vocals are stellar

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 18 at 3:43 pm:
It's sad how talentless muscians achieve excess fame, but the true talented ones do not. I've recently "discovered" Jake Bugg, so for me to say that I'm a fan as everyone else might be a little carried away. However, from the little that I have heard of his music, I do agree that his vocals and lyrics resemble Bob Dylan. I love some folk songs; again, I'm not that familiar with the genre. But, I know that Jake Bugg is a talented singer. Even if he doesn... (more »)

schlageThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 22 at 6:56 pm:
I absolutely love him! He has such a raw and old-sounding voice.

ilovethecity said...
Mar. 10 at 9:17 pm:
It is so lovely to meet someone else on this site who likes Jake Bugg. Well-written review!