Jake Bugg by Jake Bugg | Teen Ink

Jake Bugg by Jake Bugg MAG

By super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas

"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"

Who is Jake Bugg? In America, the name is unknown. To those in the U.K., it's associated with one of the up-and-coming singers of the 21st century. I believe that by giving this album a chance, American listeners will discover an underrated and very satisfying collection of songs.

What makes Jake Bugg's self-titled album so special? It's all in his ability to take old elements and turn them into something new. As a country/folk singer, it is very easy to slip into the river of mainstream, but that doesn't happen in this album. Bugg instead turns to masters of the past, like Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, for ideas. He is also influenced by ballads from Oasis and The Beatles. Together, it makes a pleasing combination.

The album begins with the Johnny Cash–style tunes “Lightning Bolt” and “Taste It.” “Lightning Bolt” shows off Bugg's ability to sing at many volumes. It's followed up by the feel-good “Two Fingers,” which tells the tale of Bugg's family struggles and how he gets past them.

While Bugg begins with a bang, the rest of his album proves more melancholy and gentle, which is not necessarily a bad thing. “Seen It All” features Bugg's vocals at their finest, as well as an Oasis-like instrument solo. Bugg's slick vocals take full control in “Someone Told Me,” and the intense feelings expressed can make one shiver. “Simple as This” and “Slide” should be included alongside this album's best tracks too.

Often folk music is tossed away as old-fashioned and a thing of the past, but this teenage artist is out to change that. After listening to this album, I strongly believe Bugg is capable of doing so.

Jake Bugg is only 18 years old. He is from the UK.

super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas

Thank you all for your kind comments! Glad to hear you enjoyed the review and Jake's music. It means a lot to me! 

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

So, I read this and went on Youtube to look up this Jake Bugg guy. I actually like him already! I totally agree with you, and this is coming from someone who never listens to folk music. :) Oh and this music review in general, very well written! Great job, and thanks for introducing me to Bugg :)

east_of_ada said...
east_of_ada, Null, Other

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

i LOVE jake bugg. he just looks and sounds so precious. his vocals are stellar

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

It's sad how talentless muscians achieve excess fame, but the true talented ones do not. I've recently "discovered" Jake Bugg, so for me to say that I'm a fan as everyone else might be a little carried away. However, from the little that I have heard of his music, I do agree that his vocals and lyrics resemble Bob Dylan. I love some folk songs; again, I'm not that familiar with the genre. But, I know that Jake Bugg is a talented singer. Even if he doesn't become known as a pop-star, he will be known forever in the folk genre as a talented singer. He's got a long  career awaiting him. Great review. Congrats on the publication for it. 

schlage GOLD said...
schlage GOLD, Erie, Pennsylvania
I absolutely love him! He has such a raw and old-sounding voice.

ilovethecity GOLD, Westbury, New York

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

It is so lovely to meet someone else on this site who likes Jake Bugg. Well-written review!