Jake Bugg by Jake Bugg | Teen Ink

Jake Bugg by Jake Bugg MAG

February 23, 2013
By super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
30 articles 9 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"


Who is Jake Bugg? In America, the name is unknown. To those in the U.K., it's associated with one of the up-and-coming singers of the 21st century. I believe that by giving this album a chance, American listeners will discover an underrated and very satisfying collection of songs.

What makes Jake Bugg's self-titled album so special? It's all in his ability to take old elements and turn them into something new. As a country/folk singer, it is very easy to slip into the river of mainstream, but that doesn't happen in this album. Bugg instead turns to masters of the past, like Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, for ideas. He is also influenced by ballads from Oasis and The Beatles. Together, it makes a pleasing combination.

The album begins with the Johnny Cash–style tunes “Lightning Bolt” and “Taste It.” “Lightning Bolt” shows off Bugg's ability to sing at many volumes. It's followed up by the feel-good “Two Fingers,” which tells the tale of Bugg's family struggles and how he gets past them.

While Bugg begins with a bang, the rest of his album proves more melancholy and gentle, which is not necessarily a bad thing. “Seen It All” features Bugg's vocals at their finest, as well as an Oasis-like instrument solo. Bugg's slick vocals take full control in “Someone Told Me,” and the intense feelings expressed can make one shiver. “Simple as This” and “Slide” should be included alongside this album's best tracks too.

Often folk music is tossed away as old-fashioned and a thing of the past, but this teenage artist is out to change that. After listening to this album, I strongly believe Bugg is capable of doing so.


The author's comments:
Jake Bugg is only 18 years old. He is from the UK.