Dear Mama by Tupac | Teen Ink

Dear Mama by Tupac

May 9, 2012
By DeAja Gaines BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
DeAja Gaines BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In 1995, rapper Tupac Shakur released one on his many classics, “Dear Mama”. The ode to his mother Afeni Shakur talks about how much he appreciates her despite hard times and disappointments. Tupac expresses that due to the environment he was living in, it caused him to do poorly in school and hang around the wrong crowd. A side of his life is shared that many probably didn’t know about. “Huggin on my mama from a jail cell” and “Even as a crack fiend mama, ya always was a black queen mama” lets the listener know that his mother had been in jail and on drugs. But then again he gives her props by saying, “A poor single mother on welfare tell me how ya did it”. At the end of every verse, his thankfulness shines through with, “There’s no way I can pay you back, but the plan is to show you that I understand, you are appreciated”.

This song is super amazing because first off, he went out of his way to write a song to his mother. Not too many rappers can say that they have done that. Also, his thoughts are very genuine and Tupac does not hide anything that happened or his feelings. Thanks to this song, you know most of Tupac’s life. Another cool thing is that some young people may be able to relate. He is sort of speaking for everyone that is struggling.

One of the best selling music artists in the world, Tupac Shakur has sold over 75 million copies worldwide. Most of his songs are about problems in society and the not-so-pleasant experiences of life. One can learn a lot from this song and it might even cause one to reflect on their own personal life and thank their mother. Tupac is as real as they get so if you like real music, LISTEN TO THIS SONG AND OTHERS BY TUPAC SHAKUR!!!!