Jonas Brothers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

Poison-ivyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm:
I love Snowpatrol too! <3 and I also respect your opinion, so Im just gonna spare some drama-queening and keep my mouth shut.

jettabugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm not going to bother on my opinions and whatnot, but your article is very well-written! Great job!

Ivanka N. said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm:

While I certainly respect your opinion, I would have to disagree.

I commend the boys for trying to write their own music, people care less about who wrote or produced it than the pretty face performing it. From what I've heard, none of the brothers are terribly talented. Their songs are repetitive and trite, with simple power chords and inane lyrics. They are everything your average teenybopper wants.

During live shows, they have a four piece backing band with a guitarist (John ... (more »)

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yeah love the Jonas Brothers! Personally, I agree with you---my sister says that I listen to weird music, but I like to think of myself as an eclectic. I love it all! At first I thought that the Jonas Brothers were just a rehashing of boy bands from the 90s like Nsync and the Backstreet Boys or the cookie cutter, shallow music that girls go googly-eyed for. But I actually like their music. Good review! It's good for people to try new things, not just judging before they actually experience it.

wanda said...
y r ya talking about jonas brothers there old news,i also think they broke up

RashidaR said...
I'm glad to see this review because I was diagnosed with OJD in 2007, and have been living with it since. I find it really easy to tun up the REAL JB (not Justin Bieber) and feel extremely alive. JB FOREVER AND EVER...

AgentMandark said...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 10:34 am:

I don't even like the Jonas Brothers, and I still thought this review was great :). You know, maybe they really weren't that bad when they were popular...

I think the fanbase kind of ruined it though :P. Obnoxious, screaming pre-teen obsessive fangirls tend to repel older ones.

callie15 said...
Great review! And by the way, I have heard of both Switchfoot and Snow Patrol ;)

LynnMaria_17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm :
haha yeah me too and i lvoe them both :)

EoinCThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 5:45 am :
How on Earth are Snow Patrol old? 

nickjluv said...
I love them all so much! Nick Jonas is my hero he inspires me everyday! This is a great article but needs to be updated . Awesome!

morgan123 said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm:
i wish they more hits

morgan123 said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm:

the article was well written and theyhad good hits and i wish they were still together

joeyarc replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm :
they have never officially broken up...they are just taking some time to do solo projects...and luckily they are brothers so can never actually break up!

freeflow23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm:
Nice article. Well stated point of view.

JRock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm:
I'm not necessarily a fan, but I do enjoy some of their music. I was listening to a few of their songs today and I realized that they kind of sold-out a bit. When they first came out with "Mandy" and "Year 3000" they had a much more original sound. I think they started to sound a bit more mainstream with "S.O.S." But I did enjoy "Burnin' Up" and I did watch their tv show. But I'm still not a fan.

CosgroveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm:

Yes, everyone has their own taste of music. Mine happens to be listening to these three brothers. Their music has gotten me through so much and its really relatable and not dirty like most songs today. They might be like every other boyband that comes around, but only this time with a distinction; they are brothers. I'm proud to say that I'm sixteen going on seventeen and I've been with them ever since they started out. So stick that in your juice box and suck it haters. Cuz there will always... (more »)

FireandicecubeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love the Jonas Brothers. They write from their hearts. Sometimes they're not spot on but they're real and they just love to sing. They don't try to be anyone else. They just enjoy their music. They use music for what it was meant for EXPRESSION!!!

stellabella21 said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm:
This was a really well written review but i disagree the jonas brothers are not talented and they are not nice people well at least Joe isn't he dumped taylor swift over the phone deserted Demi Lovato in her time of need and if this isn't proof of a player I don't know what is

.o0OPieIsAwkwardO0o. said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm:

Ahem...

Though your article was clearly very well thought out and written...

The Jonas Brothers do not make good music. It's just the same generic garbage pop keeps throwing in our face over and over again expecting us to think just because someone else sings it, it's not the same as some song that was all over the place last week.

They're songs all sound the same

They're cliche, and none of them are very original

And the fandom

Oh, God, the fandom...... (more »)