One Less Lonely Girl by Justin Bieber

Personally, I hold a very neutral opinion towards teen pop sensation Justin Bieber. I simply am not interested in either being one of his fans or bashing him. Having said this, I hope readers will recognize that my opinion is not biased when I discuss my dislike of his song “One Less Lonely Girl”. It is not his singing abilities or anything about Justin as a person that bother me about this song, but the lyrics that he sings. My friend recently spoke about the message that he believed the lyrics send to young listeners. When a sixteen-year-old sings about how he will cause one girl not to be lonely anymore, he seems to imply that teenage girls aren’t okay on their own. I think many agree that it’s quite alright to be single at any age. Girls shouldn’t have to be in a relationship to be happy. Who they date does not define them as a person. In the lyrics to “One Less Lonely Girl”, Justin repeats over and over how he will end a girl’s loneliness. When he says “one less” he seems to imply that many girls are lonely and unhappy because they don’t have boyfriends. Justin seems to be saying that the girl he is singing to in particular is lucky to be chosen by him because he will rescue only her out of the many other lonesome girls who would love to be with him. Others may have their own personal opinions on the meaning of this song, and I respect that, but I will stand firm on my opinion that this song sends a negative message to Justin’s many fans.

Laugh-it-Out This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:11 am
Though i am a bieber hater, i will put that aside for now. I 100% completely agree with you. A single woman is a powerful women. And with the right man she can be even more powerful. But what JB is suggesting is that a single woman is a sad, lonely woman who needs a man to fill that lonely gap in her life. This is untrue times a million. I am a powerful girl who has doesnt have a boyfriend and don't really care! Thank you for writing this because you are absolutely right and its sad to think tha... (more »)

Jenni said...
Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:54 am
Me As A Justin Bieber Fan do not agree with you. iLOve justin bieber and its just a song get over yourself . Justin bieber song is great.My crush

JustinBieberGirl14 said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 11:33 am
I am a die hard belieber.....bieber fan.....but i agree with this.  I never really considered this, but you are right the lyrics are very conceited and send a negative message.  This song has always upset me, and now i know why.  However, i really do love him and his music and i don`t think he really wrote it, but i totallly agree that it has the wrong message.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was fantastic, and I completely agree.  I mean, who says we're all lonely and miserable without some sixteen year old who looks twelve and sounds like a girl?  Perhaps a girl with a good voice, but still a girl.  Honestly, I agree with Esther V., I look at lyrics in my music, which is one of the big reasons I like Taylor Swift so much.  Her songs actually have MEANING, not just repeating some nonsense words over and over again to a melody(cough cough:Ra-ma, ra-ma-ma... (more »)

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks!  And, I love Taylor Swift's music too.  I can relate to all of her music.  I would love Taylor Swift too, but I'm too jealous of her that she dated Taylor Lauter!  lol.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Haha.  I don't love him, though, so...I can still be a huge Taylor S fan.

Esther V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 6:59 am
I <3 taylor swift tooo!!

She's awesome:)

Esther V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

great, great, great!

personally when i listen to songs the main thing i look for is lyrics; and these are absolutely ridiculous. i could not agree more with basically everything you said, especially the middle section about how he implies girls are lonely without boyfriends. i go through both sides of this argument every day with my friends when we discuss that we feel like we "have" to get boyfriends, and it's songs like this that encourage that completely wrong point of view. you def... (more »)

Thank you!