Want Two by Rufus Wainwright | Teen Ink

Want Two by Rufus Wainwright

April 16, 2010
By sesquipedalia SILVER, Sydney, Other
sesquipedalia SILVER, Sydney, Other
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Nowhere's now here smelling of junipers.


Title: Rufus Wainwright is a God

And Want Two is my Bible (yes, an honest Bible does exist- no longer limited to being a preached oxymoron)!

I have to write a review for Want Two, for the chef-d’oeuvre which has provided me (and doubtlessly many others) the most transcendental, warmest musical experience one can ever imbibe through a cold, metallic disc. I believe this is Rufus’s most underrated album thus far, and my absolute favourite (this is saying something, considering it comes from one whose ‘cigarettes and chocolate milk’ is Rufus Wainwright)!

Having read so many articles comparing Rufus’s voice to saccharine foods, let me just extend their encomiums with another (less stimulating) metaphor… His songs, mellifluous as they are, embody a unique personal quality to an extent that we listeners will not only be climbing a stairway to a makeshift Shangri-la, but we are rungs closer to understanding the virtuoso himself. He’s my sole remedy in purging myself of the kitschy, oversexed music which the majority of my peers at school listen to! Gay Messiah, This Love Affair and especially The Art Teacher continually make me a loyal Kleenex customer.

Why homophobia never seems to dissipate or crunch away is beyond me. To those whose enchridion-based beliefs cause anguish to their ‘victims’, I can only hope that Jesus etc. will descend (in a flowing robe for dramatic effect) and cry “MATTHEW, PETER AND SO & SO, THAT IS SO OUT OF CONTEXT!!!”


The author's comments:
Please read the full article on my blog (with images and videos) http://quixoticzephyr.wordpress.com/

Thank you.

Rufus Wainwright is an alternative/ baroque pop singer-songwriter and has been a sole comfort in my sunless world.