some rap songs | Teen Ink

some rap songs

By yompers BRONZE, Yaktown, Washington
yompers BRONZE, Yaktown, Washington

Earl Sweatshirts album  Some Rap Songs is a psychedelic weave of expert songwriting and alternative production. With Some Rap Songs being Earls most experimental album to date. His last album in 2015, I Don't Like **** I Don't Go Outside was a dark and unforgettable album going through the trials and tribulations of Earl and his depression. Earl is highly regarded by many as one of the best lyricists of the new school. With multiple verses that make your face contort with disgust from the sheer creativity a skater kid from chicago has. With heavy influences from MF Doom and RZA, Earls lyrics and flow show what thinking outside the box can do.  In his three year absence in rap Earl has come back with better metaphors, wordplay and production. With Some Rap Songs detailing what's been going on in those three years. Some of these include Earls depression, Trump's America and earls own personal challenges. In the first song of the album “Shattered Dreams” Earl talks about everything he's built, how he deserves it and how he plans to maintain the momentum of his career.  In darker songs such as “Nowhere2go” Earls raps about overcoming his depression and becoming a new person. He goes over how his fans made him seem like a hero and how he never understood it.

In one of my favorite songs off the album “eclipse” Earls goes over his past and his hopes for the future. He speaks on how being rich doesn't equal happiness and how he let his depression make him miss out on everything he loved.

This album comes after lots of turmoil in Earls life. Just a month before the album dropped Earls father passed away in south africa. The album was going to be the connecting point for the two after Earls father was absent most earls life. Sadly Earls father never got to listen to Some Rap Songs before he passed and the album has since been dedicated to him.  Earl as always brings the unexpected into view with beat production straight out of the rabbit hole. With songs like “The Bends” boasting lines such as, “Bend, we don't break, we not the bank

Switch whips, relocate all the way out of state

Tell my queens, "Keep mace"

Keep faith, brother man

They stable full of sheep, we stayin' on the lam.”  or

This one from “The Mint.” “Brodie on the corner with a piece on his hip

Give a warning 'fore you blow it in the sky

Tiptoein' over mortar and the brick

Bumpin' shoulders with the devil in disguise.” Every album Earl drops is more than a piece of music. Some Rap Songs is a look inside the mind of Earl Sweatshirt and what made him who he is, One of the worlds youngest and most promising artists to ever touch a microphone.

im sick yo