The Greatest Showman: Reimagined | Teen Ink

The Greatest Showman: Reimagined MAG

By WriterNicoleGrey BRONZE, Panther Valley, New Jersey
WriterNicoleGrey BRONZE, Panther Valley, New Jersey

"A billion light years away, someone's thinkin' the same thing, but he's already turned to dust. . . "
~Ghost Quartet by Dave Malloy

Justin Paul and Benj Pasek, the writing team behind the Tony-winning musical “Dear Evan Hansen” and multi-award-winning movie musical “La La Land,” just released a collaborative album comprised of music from the 2017 hit movie, “The Greatest Showman.” The album, “The Greatest Showman: Reimagined,” hit stores and streaming sites in November of 2018. The tracklist features chart-topping artists including P!nk, Panic! At the Disco, Kelly Clarkson, and many more. Each artist contributes their own rendition of a song from the movie.

Fans of the movie will enjoy the new interpretations of the songs they already know. As a fan, myself, I found that some songs truly embody the spirit of the movie while others fell a bit flat. “The Greatest Show,” “A Million Dreams,” and “Tightrope” were among the best of this album.

“The Greatest Show,” performed by Panic! At the Disco, offers a rock-inspired interpretation of the song that will be well-received by the band’s fans and movie-lovers alike. It captures the energy of the movie’s opening scene while putting a putting a pop-sounding spin on it.

“A Million Dreams” was one of my favorite songs from the movie, and P!nk’s version made me appreciate it even more. P!nk turns the duet into a song with a message of empowerment, individuality, and creativity. Her raw voice and unique style enhance the song’s meaning and give it a new depth, making her rendition a highlight of the album.  

As an avid Sara Bareilles fan, I had high expectations for “Tightrope,” and I am happy to say that I was not disappointed. Her voice is well-suited for this song, which allows her to express its true tone. I think her version will shine some light on a song that got overlooked by fans of the movie.

One of the tracks I was slightly disappointed with was “This is Me.” Since this song resonated with so many movie fans, I thought it would be one of the best tracks of the album; unfortunately, it wasn’t. The track is performed by Kesha, Keala Settle (who sang the song on the original album), and Missy Elliott, who adds her own rap to the original lyrics. Although this track wasn’t bad, it defeats the purpose of the album: having new artists offer their interpretation of the song.

Overall, this album was very well done. It will not only attract movie fans but also fans of the individual artists. This album deserves a 7/10, and I definitely recommend giving it a listen.

Just a theatre-fan's mere opinion of an album...hope you enjoy!