Beavis and Butthead Do America | Teen Ink

Beavis and Butthead Do America

By BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont

For dim-witted teenagers Beavis and Butthead, TV is literally their life. So when they wake up from a surreal (and pretty stupid) dream one day for it to vanish into thin air, what else could they do but launch a cross-country trip to find it while somehow getting tangled up in a twisted love/hate relationship and a national crisis, all while desperately trying to hit it big with the ladies? Yes, this is the plot of the first (if more are coming, which they probably won’t be) Beavis and Butthead movie, Beavis and Butthead Do America, based on the (semi)popular MTV show, Beavis and Butthead. While the film definitely is funny at times, let me just get this out there: This is NOT for the easily offended. Period. Don’t let the timid PG-13 rating fool you. This scatological flick is absolutely FULL of crudely explicit sex-related scenes and dialogue (not least on the shocking “Lesbian Seagull” scene, it’s peace-love singer played by the director himself). Alright, it’s not like any of it is X-rated or anything (though it sometimes gets dangerously close to the bone). But if you’re expecting something even remotely related to The Simpsons Movie (which inexplicably got the same rating) in terms of edginess (in other words, none), you’ll be in for a BIG surprise. In fact, it’s an absolute wonder the film didn’t get rated R for it’s crudeness alone. That doesn’t mean the film isn’t without it’s laughs either. In fact, although somewhat cheesy, I really liked the scene where Beavis and Butthead were dancing to 80’s music on a dance floor (the film IS a product of the 90’s, remember). I don’t know. There was just something about it’s sheer retro-ness that really connected with me. Some more of the film’s funnier moments include the scene where Beavis (the stupidest of the two) scarfs down hundreds of an old lady’s caffeine pills and goes insane to the point of pulling his shirt over his head and even accidentally getting on the Oval Office’s secret phone, where the shocked National Security agents on the other end automatically assume the president’s gone insane. Or the one where Beavis and Butthead meet their uncanny lookalikes (Mötley Crüe roadies and implied parents, according to Wikipedia) in the middle of a sun-scorched desert. Or the one where the two hilariously (and graphically) moon everyone on sight out of a bus window. OK, OK, OK, that last one wasn’t really THAT funny. But still, again, if you’re not easily offended by those types of things (and much, much, much more), it’ll be pretty hard to prevent at least one chuckle escape your mouth. So yes, while it certainly goes waaaaay beyond most PG-13 (and even some R-rated) fare in terms of raunchiness (and it’s admittedly pretty stupid), if you don’t mind and are desperately looking for a movie to take some stress of your back on a lazy Sunday afternoon that’s entertaining in a mindless sort of way, but delivers actual, genuine laughs, then by all means, do this country right along with them.