Fences | Teen Ink

Fences

By MercedesEllis BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
MercedesEllis BRONZE, Parkland, Florida

The Oscar nominated movie, Fences, is a dramatic film, which is originally a play. It is directed by Denzel Washington, who also stars in it along with Viola Davis. The movie was recently played in theaters, but is now available to be bought or rented.

In short, the movie is the story of a married couple trying to raise a family and dealing with all the struggles that come along with it. Troy Maxson (Denzel Washington) works alongside an old friend as a sanitation worker in 1950’s Pittsburg. His past is filled with abuse built on his father’s need to make him into a strong, independent man, and the apple doesn’t fall from the tree. Troy once dreamed of becoming a famous baseball player, but when black players started to become accepted, he was too old to play. It is a rage he would carry into almost any conversation. Bitter over his missed dream, he creates threatening tensions in his family as his son (Jovan Adepo) seeks the same future his father entertained.

Several critics shot down the movie saying that it is “unfilmable,” due to the fact that is all extensive dialogue sequences filled with common conversations, joking, and heart-wrenching arguments, but to others, that’s exactly what made this movie so real. The acting in this movie is breathtaking, especially from Denzel Washington. At the beginning of the movie, he a likeable guy; he’s trying to support his family, he doesn’t complain much, and he likes to crack jokes; however, as the film carries on, subtle hints are dropped that he is not a good person. If someone, mainly his youngest son, said something wrong, or looked at him the wrong way, his demeanor would alter into something like his father. Denzel was awarded the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for his raw and pure performance. Likewise, Viola Davis gave a breathtaking performance that landed her four awards, including the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Their moments of having big, powerful, and loud performances transcends throughout the film. There is one issue at the end of the movie that betrays the rest of the film, because it is very unrealistic, but it is a small nit-pick.

Fences is one of my favorite movies of the year, which surprised me. When I first saw it in theaters I was not expecting so much dialogue or the fact that the whole movie took place in a backyard, but that is exactly what made the movie so eye-opening. The isolation of the dialogue, combined with strong performances, left me forgetting that I was watching a movie. I strongly suggest this movie for anyone that wants to see a different outlook on life.

Favorite movie quotes:
           “Now don’t you go through life worrying about whether somebody like you or not! You best be makin’ sure that they’re doin’ right by you!”- Denzel Washington.
           “I took all my feelings, my wants and needs, my dreams… and I buried them inside you. I planted myself inside you and waited to bloom. And it didn’t take me no eighteen years to find out the soil was hard and rocky and it wasn’t never gonna bloom.”- Viola Davis.
           “Suddenly the world got big. It was a long time before I could cut it down to where I could handle it.”- Denzel Washington.