The Exorcist | Teen Ink

The Exorcist MAG

By JorgeGallegos BRONZE, Leoti, Kansas
JorgeGallegos BRONZE, Leoti, Kansas

“The Exorcist” is a movie that revolutionized horror films. I remember the first time I watched it. And by watched, I mean hid beneath a blanket with both my ears covered. This is no exaggeration. I was terrified. I was with my friend, Josh, and we were looking for a scary movie. Like most eighth graders, fear was not in our vocabulary.
We asked Josh’s mom, Lisa, if she knew of any good horror films. That’s when I first heard about “The Exorcist.” Lisa was not talking about the modern-day version, though, but the film released in 1973. She told us that when she went with friends to see it, some people ran out of the theatre and even fainted during the show. Lisa claimed it was the only movie that ever scared her, the only one that has ever given her nightmares for weeks. Lisa is a horror-movie fanatic and not easily scared; after her endorsement Josh and I absolutely had to see it. It was a challenge we couldn’t resist. To this day, I
regret watching it.
“The Exorcist” from 1973 begins with Father Lankester Merrin, an old Catholic priest, in Iraq. He encounters an amulet that resembles the statue of a demon known as Pazuzu, foreshadowing his presence in the movie. The story then shifts to Georgetown, in Washington, D.C., where Chris MacNeil (Ellen Burstyn) lives with her 12-year-old daughter, Regan (Linda Blair). Chris, who is an actress, comes home from work to find Regan playing with a Ouija board. She claims to be talking to a friend named Captain Howdy. The girl soon begins acting strange. From claiming someone’s death to peeing on the floor during a party, Regan’s actions grow more and more bizarre. She develops sudden strength, spouts obscene language, climbs the walls, twists her body in inhuman ways, projectile vomits, and purposely cuts herself.
Chris calls in doctors, who can’t find anything medically wrong with Regan. Finally, they are willing to consider the possibility that she’s possessed, and they request the help of priests.
Just recalling the plot gives me chills. It took me three tries before I could watch the “The Exorcist” without covering my eyes. It’s embarrassing to admit, but this movie is that scary.
Because of this movie, I’ve learned to hate demonic stories. I’m a Christian with a strong belief in God. I also believe that Satan and his demons are real. So this kind of movie is hard for me to watch. 
Even though “The Exorcist” terrified the living daylights out of me, it changed my whole perspective on horror films. Turns out, I’m not the only one. “The Exorcist” revolutionized horror films and set the tone for the future of the horror genre.
When comparing this movie to today’s horror films, I believe that “The Exorcist” made in the early ’70s is still more terrifying.  In my opinion, no horror film has surpassed it in terms of scaring the heck out of you. It is a movie that will make you hold your breath and even skip a heartbeat. I would definitely recommend it to those who love the thrill of
being terrified. 

This was a journalism class assignment.