La La Land | Teen Ink

La La Land

By HelenJ SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
HelenJ SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

In a world where reality television and crude humor are celebrated as entertainment, a more traditional, yet original musical is born. Released December ninth of 2016, “La La Land”, a whimsical musical about the love story between two rising stars, helps to draw out a bright future for the world of film in the twenty-first century. Directed by Damien Chazelle, mostly known for his work on the famed 2014 drama “Whiplash”, “La La Land” further depicts Chazelle’s talent through the many different scenes and emotions his camera is able to capture. The musical recently received seven Golden Globes at the 74th annual award show, officially breaking a record for most awards won for a single movie. From the colorful cinematography to the memorable music, the musical allows viewers to spend two hours living in a world of struggle, dreams, and fantastic jazz music. It may not become an all-time favorite film in viewer’s eyes, but offers everyone, from teenagers to adults, a unique movie-going experience that is hard to discover in today’s world of entertainment.

The title of the movie “La La Land” refers to the hopeful city of Los Angeles, or LA, where those hoping to make it in the entertainment industry often gravitate to. It is here where the musical follows the characters of Sebastian, played by Ryan Gosling, and Mia, played by Emma Stone. As they navigate their careers as well as their relationships, Stone and Gosling come together to create a unique couple full of hope and potential to fulfill their individual dreams. Although lacking interest and meaning at some points, the storyline of “La La Land” still manages to continuously grab the attention of viewers through other aspects of the film, such as music and cinematography. Unfortunately, the best and most enthralling point of the movie appears to occur in the last seven minutes of the entire musical. Despite this, “La La Land” still comes together to successfully deliver a common idea in its entirety. Stephanie Goodrich, a sophomore at Ramapo High School, said “I thought the story was exciting and romantic. A common critique is that there was no plot, but it’s about two lovers trying to follow their dreams. What more could you ask for?”. She is absolutely correct. In a flurry of love and confusion, Stone and Gosling struggle to make their relationship work as they are slowly pulled apart by other beloved interests. “La La Land” becomes a film that every viewer can relate to, and shows couples the importance of supporting one another, especially when one cannot see what is best for himself.

Typically known for more light-hearted and humorous roles, Stone pleasantly surprises viewers with her acting in the musical, as well as her unexpected singing voice. As her character tries to land a role in any production she can, Stone most definitely shows viewers the struggles everyone faces when deciding what exactly they want to do with their life and perfectly captures the desperation all humans feel at some point for support and guidance in a world where it seems that such a goal is unrealistic. Nonetheless, Stone’s famed humor is still subtly evident throughout the movie, but another, more sophisticated side of her is revealed to fans and those unfamiliar with her work alike. Viewers can only hope that this side of her will be revealed once again in the future.

To portray the themes of the film, Stone is not only accompanied, but enhanced by the acting of her on-screen love interest of Ryan Gosling. Previously working together in “Crazy, Stupid, Love” in 2011, as well as “Gangster Squad” in 2013, not many can deny the chemistry that the two always share on camera. Casting directors of “La La Land” have done an excellent job in choosing their leads to deliver to viewers the musical’s importance.
Gosling portrays to viewers a man who at sometimes cannot see anything else over his love of jazz. As his character Sebastian continuously tries to revive the world of jazz music, which is deemed as a dying music industry, he finds such efforts difficult and trying at some points, as a jazz pianist. Those who dedicate time to watch a film are often looking for an important message to take away; Gosling satisfies this need through his character’s search for a harmony between responsibility and dreams. It is easy for one to become consumed by Stone and Gosling’s confusing, but natural relationship. As their two character’s stories and different personalities are juxtaposed and joined with each other, Stone and Gosling create a relationship that is realistic, making it even more intimate and captivating for viewers.

Although acting plays a crucial role in a film, visuals do as well. In the case of “La La Land”, Damien Chazelle has out done himself. It appears in each scene that there is something new that the eye is drawn to, whether it be bright colors or interesting camera angles. The scenery of the musical helps to fathom a magical impression on viewers, through colorful pool parties to a enchanting date at the famous Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Throughout the musical, Chazelle delivers viewers scenes that keep them wrapped up in the world of “La La Land” and sets a mood that extremely complements the message of the musical itself.

Those who have a chance to watch the musical can definitely identify music as a key component and continuous theme of “La La Land”. Composer Justin Hurwitz arranges a line up of music that draws from many different styles and moods, quite like the film itself. Varying from smooth jazz to dreamy scores, all the songs present in the musical comes together to create a film in which music and dialogue work hand and hand. Gosling and Stone shockingly lend their own voices for all of their scores and surprise the audience with a style of singing that feels authentic. Many can debate that an actor more versed in choral skills would have been more fit for these roles, but the singing style of both Stone and Gosling is perfect in the way that it enhances the plot of the movie even more.

More stunning than the singing, arguably, is the piano skills that Gosling puts on display throughout the film. Upon realization that it is truly Gosling playing the piano, many are impressed with his knowledge of the instrument. Due to fact that the musical focuses on the revival of a pure form of jazz, it is filled with scores that incorporate the typical jazz sounds of piano, trumpets, and trombone, as well as many other instruments. Jazz music is also brought into a new and more modern light with the help of the famous musician, John Legend. Delivering music that is as new age as the film, Legend helps to show that all music genres can be taken in new directions, especially in his song, “Start a Fire”. Other notable songs that can be found on the soundtrack are “Another Day of Sun”, which is heard in the introduction, and the simple song of “City of Stars” that becomes a continuous melody throughout the movie. Music is crucial to a movie, especially in a musical, by drastically influencing certain scenes and moments. It is evident that “La La Land” places the right emphasis on music for every moment and change of mood, which clearly pays off when evaluating the film in its entirety. 

As music, acting, and cinematography come together in a beautiful and sometimes-imperfect light, the musical “La La Land” is created as a film that may not be one of the greats, but still leaves a positive lasting impression. For two hours, viewers are able to experience a harmony between chaos and romance and music, among many other components that offers something for everyone. Through the acting of Stone and Gosling, one message becomes clear to all. We must support our dreams as well as the dreams of others, because they are what keep us going.