Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
Rated R
Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, Madhur Mittal
Directed by Danny Boyle
Fox Searchlight, Warner Brothers, Celador and Film 4
10/5
You read that correctly. Ten out of 5. This movie is that good. This is the best movie I have ever seen. I was literally shaking out of happiness by the end.
I drove an hour out of my way to see it, and trust me, it was more than worth it.
The movie is one of those that takes you into its story so completely that you find yourself engaged through the entire thing, and never wanting it to end.
Young Jamal (Patel), a teenage 'slumdog' from Mumbai, has gotten to the last question on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? when the show ends for the night. Jamal is arrested on suspicion of cheating; He has never been to school, so how does he know the answers? With each question, we are shown Jamal's life so far, spent chasing after his conniving brother, Salim (Mittal) and long-lost love, Latika (Pinto). Along the way, he explains exactly how he knows every single one of these answers.
Although sometimes hard to watch, the movie is so incredibly intruiging and suspenseful that you can't help but root for Jamal every step of the way, with fingers crossed. I can't lie and tell you that you will guarranteed without a doubt enjoy it, however I believe your chances are pretty good. Everything about this movie screams 'Best Film' - which it did win, for the Golden Globes and the BAFTAs - from the direction, the acting, the cinematography, and screenplay. There is so much to enjoy about this truly feel-good movie that even if you don't feel quite the same way I do, you will understand why it's been nominated so much and why it definately deserves 'Best Film' award. Based on the novel Q & A by Vikas Swarup.