Spaceballs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A gallon of “Star Wars,” mixed with a quart of “Star Trek,” a pint of “Alien,” a cup of “Planet of the Apes,” a fluid ounce of “It Happened One Night,” and thousands of sprinkles of television shows from the ’70s and ’80s. All this stirred and baked together makes “Spaceballs,” a parody of these films.

When President Skroob (Mel Brooks) of Planet Spaceballs sends Lord Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis as a parody of Darth Vader) on a mission aboard Spaceball One to steal the plentiful supply of fresh air on Planet Druidia, it is up to Lone Starr (Bill Pullman) to stop them.

Directed by Brooks, “Spaceballs” is a laugh-out-loud comedy that can be enjoyed by all generations. I was born over a decade after its 1987 premiere. Most people would consider this movie before their time, but nevertheless, the humor is downright hilarious. The people I’ve talked to who are old enough to remember seeing it in theaters agree. It’s difficult to find movies like this nowadays – where fans are still laughing and referencing the lines nearly three decades later.

I give “Spaceballs” five out of five stars without reservations. I strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to escape from reality to a world where spaceships can travel at Ludicrous Speed, self-destruct cancellation buttons are out of order, and top-secret combinations are 1-2-3-4-5. May the Schwartz be with you!