Pride and Prejudice and Zombies | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies MAG

By TheaterChick16 GOLD, Wethersfield, Connecticut
TheaterChick16 GOLD, Wethersfield, Connecticut

"If you want a place in the sun, you have to expect a few blisters" - Loretta Young

Want a twist on a classic tale? For two centuries readers have enjoyed Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It focuses on Elizabeth Bennet, a young woman who wishes to marry for love rather than for economic security. She rebuffs the prospect of Mr. Darcy, a wealthy gentleman who comes off as arrogant, but as the story develops, the two overcome numerous obstacles to find romantic happiness.

Seth Grahame-Smith’s 2009 parody novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, introduced a plague of undead to the plot. One may be initially confused by the need to include zombies in early 19th century England, but this addition adds more thrill to the story.

When analyzing Austen’s original tale, the idea of incorporating a war makes sense. At the time, British society was experiencing the Napoleonic Wars. It is interesting to see the characters in Grahame-Smith’s novel facing the tensions of war. In fact, it further develops the relationship between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. They are already in battle, continuously pointing out each other’s flaws. When the zombie plague hits, the protagonists first choose to fight on their own;  however, as secrets unravel, they put their differences aside, work together to end the war and eventually fall in love.

But why zombies? Well, classic literature isn’t as popular with a younger audience as books like Twilight or The Hunger Games. So why not make it more appealing? Zombies are major part of pop culture. From the “The Walking Dead” to “Shaun of the Dead,” we are intrigued by the idea of a zombie apocalypse. This gives Austen’s classic story a refresh – and a new audience.

Not only are Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy zombie slayers, but so are Elizabeth’s sisters. I enjoyed seeing strong feminine characters. This film portrays women who are capable of protecting themselves – at a time when they would have been expected to simply look pretty. Even now, girls are still facing struggles to prove themselves. This message is definitely relatable both in the society of yesterday and today.

This film shows the horror-comedy genre at its best. The sudden appearances of zombies are sure to bring you chills. Yet comedy comes into play especially when the Bennet girls are attempting to find suitors or when Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy have one of their arguments. Romance definitely is important too. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy deliver a tale for the ages as their relationship develops from hatred to true love. Elizabeth’s sister Jane also finds love with Mr. Darcy’s friend, Mr. Bingley. This film really has something for everyone.

I was also impressed by the lead performances. Lily James exudes independence and confidence as Elizabeth. Throughout the film, she is headstrong and convincingly sticks to her belief in goodness no matter what stands in her way. Sam Riley also shows strong character development as Mr. Darcy. Even though he appears unpleasant and intimidating in the beginning, he is able to redeem himself and prove himself worthy of Elizabeth. The actors’ strong chemistry was evident throughout the course of the film. Their bickering was comedic at times, but always made the viewers root for them in the end. The supporting cast also strengthened the film: Matt Smith, as the eccentric Mr. Collins, had excellent comedic timing, and Lena Headey depicted Lady Catherine perfectly as a woman who shows no mercy to whomever crosses her path.

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” is a surprise treat, making this classic tale more exciting and hilarious than ever. It is capable of reintroducing a classic story for a new era.