Guardians of the Galaxy | Teen Ink

Guardians of the Galaxy

By Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you I have been changed for good." -Wicked, Broadway

In Guardians of the Galaxy (directed by James Gunn, 2014) Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is an outlaw and aspiring legend. He roams the galaxy, searching for items to steal then sell. But when fate throws him, Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Rocket the Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), Groot (Vin Diesel), and Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista) into a team together, can they prevent Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace), who is led by Thanos the Mad Titan (Josh Brolin) from a usurpation? And can they discover the secrets behind Quill’s missing father?

Music enhances the movie with a strong presence. The movie is filled with music from the late 60’s through mid 70’s, songs like “Come and Get Your Love” (Redbone), “Hooked on a Feeling” (Blue Swede), “I Want U Back” (The Jackson 5), and “Cherry Bomb” (The Runaways). These songs highlight character’s actions and make a scene more surreal/exciting. While other superhero movie may seem serious all the time, Guardians is wonderful at making potentially tense moments light and funny, using music with a rustic appeal. Adults will fill with memories of their younger years, brought on by these classic. Teens, on the other hand, will discover a whole new side of music, or at least enjoy some rude humor.

Another significant aspect of Guardians of the Galaxy is the humor. The character’s clash with each other to create hilarious arguments; Rocket once commented that metaphors just fly over Drax’ head, and replied that nothing flies over his head, because his reflexes are too developed; he would catch it. While outlaws may be too rugged for some people, they certainly are humorous. This colorful cast consists of Peter Quill (alias Star Lord), a “Terran” (Earth is called “Terra” in space) and master criminal. Gamora is the adopted daughter of Thanos, and born rebel. Rocket is the result of illegal genetic experimentation, and is a wanted criminal with a firearms obsession and a colorful vocabulary. Groot is a being made entirely from roots and can grow at will. Finally, Drax is a strongman who is behind bars for killing many of Ronan’s minions. He is extremely say-it-as-it-is and intelligent.

Even though Guardians is an amazing superhero movie, it does have faults. The movie doesn’t follow the comic book as closely as other Marvel movies do, which may throw some hard-core fans off. For example, Yondu, the head of the Ravagers band that raised Quill, was part of a previous Guardians of the Galaxy group, which Rocket and Groot were also in. The story behind the characters is more developed in the comic. Overall, I recommend this movie to both teens and adults- everyone laughs together.