Temple Grandin | Teen Ink

Temple Grandin

By madelynadele27 SILVER, Hemet, California
madelynadele27 SILVER, Hemet, California

"Temple Grandin” -based on a true story- is an inspirational, heartwarming biography about a young women struggling with autism and how she achieved great things in spite of her limitations. As a young girl, Temple (Clair Danes) was diagnosed with autism in a time when the standard care would be to have her institutionalized. Temple’s mother refused to believe that her child was hopeless and knew that Temple was still capable and smart.

Throughout the course of the movie, Temple is able to overcome her fears and learns how to control her anxiety, a solution that not only applies to herself, but also to others with Temple’s same condition. As well as contributing to the scientific world of autism, she also makes many contributions to the agricultural world in bringing cows to the slaughter in a more calm and humane manner.

Wether or not you struggle with autism, there is a lot to be learned as we all have obstacles to overcome. Through persistence and believing in yourself you can accomplish great things. It is also important to add that the movie provides a window to the autistic mind that by the nature of autism is typically unreachable. This movie is strongly recommended to all ages, with the exeption of the cattle scenes which might be offensive to some. But overall, this movie is truly inspiring, poignant, and deserves to be seen.