It | Teen Ink

It MAG

By katherinewolfe BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
katherinewolfe BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware

Imagine you are alone in pure placidity when a smiley, happy clown appears. The clown quickly hides itself and 5 seconds later, it reappears with a frown on its face. The clown is now moving closer, and closer to you… it is not a clown anymore. It is a demon. Unfortunately, the demon clown you are thinking of is not a daydream. Stephen king’s It can recapture the horrific creature. It is a great movie for viewers who like suspenseful, scary, and realistic terrors but also for people who like fictional and make believe characters.

It is a horror movie made in 1990 and directed by Tommy Lee Wallace. The movie is about a demon that takes the form of a clown and feeds on young children and stars Tim Curry. The main plot line is about 5 young children; Mike Hanlon, (Tim Reid) Bill Denbrough, (Richard Thomas) Ben Hanscom, (John Ritter) Eddie Kaspbrak, (Dennis Christopher) and Beverly Marsh (Annette O’ Toole) who form a group called the “losers club” and face a demon called “Penny Wise the Dancing Clown” who is referred to as It. The main plot line of the story takes place in Derry, Maine and is in the year of 1957.

Although the movie takes place in an earlier time period, the graphics of the movie are as harsh as modern times. It would be recommended for teens to adults because it is rated R and includes graphic scenes involving oozing red blood and gore. Also, It should be viewed by fans of the horror genre since there is some disturbing scenes involving Pennywise turning into a giant harry spider, a vicious ware wolf, and revealed behind the masks; fanged-teeth. Although, it should be kept in mind that the movie did fit its genre and people who like to have goose bumps appear on their arms would enjoy Pennywise and Its ability to change forms. Another thing to be kept in mind is that since the movie was made in 1990, the technical elements of the movie are not going to be as advanced as modern times. Even though, the special effects involving the torrent of fake blood and lighting were high tech for that time period.

Overall, It was an enjoyable movie. The movie involved real life horror references such as when Pennywise would lure the kids with balloons and toys, but the film had flaws. For example, one part in the movie a little girl is looking into the camera and frowning when she sees Pennywise. In modern day movies, it would be illicit to look into the camera while filming. Also, scary background music would play in scenes. The music takes away from the bone-chilling experience and is cheesy and cliché.

In conclusion, Stephen King’s It is recommended to anybody who likes horror movies. The movie has realistic and make believe scenes that keeps you on the edge of your seat and is intended for the audience.