Star Wars: The Force Awakens | Teen Ink

Star Wars: The Force Awakens MAG

December 22, 2015
By Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
39 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"May the Force be with You" -Star Wars


The wait is over. Can you feel it? There has been an awakening ….

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is the seventh installment in the grand Star Wars saga, set 30 years after the events of “Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi.” With the Galactic Empire defeated, a new threat called the First Order steps in to do what the Empire began: rule the galaxy. Now, it’s up to a motley crew of heroes new and old to stop the First Order and their Force-sensitive poster man Kylo Ren. Reviews have been glowing, with praise across the board and people everywhere saying “Star Wars is back.” Is it? To put it simply: yeah.

For starters, the cast is phenomenal. When casting was revealed, there were some concerns, but these characters are great, if not spectacular. Daisy Ridley as Rey totally owns the role. She is fun and adventurous, just like Luke Skywalker in “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope.” In addition, she brings an element of humanity and emotion the likes of which we haven’t seen since “Return of the Jedi.” John Boyega is fantastic as Finn, a Stormtrooper who loses his will to serve the First Order. His role adds humanity to the story, something the prequels should have done but didn’t. And yes, Oscar Isaac is great as Poe Dameron, and the returning cast is stellar, but the highlight for me is Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. This guy is menace incarnate. His stature and appearance alone speak volumes about his character, but the way he acts and speaks shows a more human villain, more so than even Darth Vader. He’s cold, unpredictable, and overall just plain scary.

The action and dogfights in “The Force Awakens” really hit home. Every fight has its own element of intensity and explosive entertainment that comes with the Star Wars name. Seeing X-Wing jets flying and shooting down First Order TIE fighters evoked emotions that I haven’t felt for three years. It truly was a moving experience for me as a fan. The light-saber fights are great because of their grit and realism. The fights weren’t choreographed with flashy jumps and blade twirls (although Kylo does have a few), but rather with visceral swings. It feels like the return of Star Wars, and it was amazing to witness. Another perfect aspect of the movie is its score. John Williams delivers with some of his best compositions in a very long time, creating songs that invoke many emotions.

That said, I have a few nitpicks. The story, while great for some of the characters, did feel like a rehash of “A New Hope.” Whether that’s good or bad is up to you. Also, some of the directions the film takes may anger die-hard fans, but to each his own.

In the end, “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens” is a return to form for the Star Wars franchise. Our generation of fans now have a new chapter to call our classic, instead of the prequels.

Go now. The Force is calling to you. Fby Ayinde Roberts, 

The author's comments:

My last review of the year for my favorite movie of the year: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens