Divergent | Teen Ink

Divergent

Divergent is set in the future and is sort of a Sci-Fi type movie.  In the movie they have just undergone a war and all the earth is demolished. The survivors are put behind a fence in the city of Chicago, living in the remains of the city. To keep the peace, the people are put into 1 of 5 factions based on their personality traits. Abnegation is a faction where the people put others before themselves and despise vanity. Erudite is the faction that knows everything and value logic. Amity is a all about love and friendship and everyone within that faction lives within peace and harmony. Dauntless is the faction that protects the city and is full of fearless and brave warriors. The Candor faction value honesty and order.

Beatrice Prior (Shailene Woodley) the main character born into Abnegation, feels like she doesn’t fit in. There is a day of ‘choosing’ which is a ceremony where the teens of each faction have a chance to switch factions according to their interests or personality traits. Beatrice finds out that she is ‘divergent’, which means she doesn't fit in with any of the factions but is all of them. This scares her. She ends up choosing Dauntless which she has found exciting since she was little.

Dauntless ends up being different than she expected. The leader, Eric (Jai Courtney), forces them to not give up and to work hard. Tobias Eaton ( Theo James), helps Tris through and eventually they develop a romantic relationship.

Jeanine Matthews (Kate Winslet), believes that human nature ruins peace so she wants everything to be controlled and to not have any free will. She believes that divergents are unpredictable and dangerous so she wants to eliminate all of them.

Tris and Tobias work together so the dauntless leader won't find out that she is divergent.
They find out that there is something going on between the factions that isn't right. Jeanine the leader of Erudite forms an alliance with the dauntless leader Eric who puts a mind-manipulated serum into the people of dauntless so she can control them. Right before it's too late Tris and Tobias stop her, destroying Jeanine's plans.

This movie is great for anyone who loves Sci-Fi and action.