Straight Outta Compton | Teen Ink

Straight Outta Compton

September 29, 2015
By Anonymous

Straight outta Compton was a movie made about NWA and their story. It takes place in the late 80s and mainly revolves around Ice Cube, Dr Dre, and Easy E even though there were 2 more members in the group called Mc Ren and Dj Yella. NWA revolutionized rap music and the movie is about their story. The movie takes place in Compton, an area in California where there was a lot of violence, murder, drugs, racist police, and police brutality was very common.


The movie really showed how bad it was to live in an area like Compton in the 80s. We saw that even if the police suspected you of having drugs, they became very violent and forceful. The guys in NWA started rapping about this and other things in their lives. It was called reality rap and very new and became very popular. NWA became famous and started a lot of riots because of their music about the police. One of the biggest riots was the one in Detroit as seen in the movie.


NWA had their own problems within their group. There was fighting about money and they were being scammed by one of their own. This caused members to leave the group and become invidiously famous. The group broke up and went their separate ways. The members had a lot of success by themselves and a lot of their albums went platinum. Not only that, but some of the members also in very popular movies and came on shows like Jimmy Kimmel. 


  All the popular rappers in history like Eminem, 50 cent, Logic, Tupac, Snoop dog, Biggie, etc...  wouldn’t be here without NWA. So many popular rappers got their inspiration from the members of NWA. NWAs story is respectable and their rise to stardom was very entertaining to watch. I became a fan after watching the movie.