Soul Surfer | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer

When I watched this movie I immediately knew that I would love it.

The movie starts by telling Bethany’s childhood, how she loved surfing. Bethany always talked about being a professional surfer. Bethany and her friend got their dream they were really good by the time they were teenagers.         

In 2003 on Halloween her friend’s family decided to go surfing at the beach with her, at that time a 14 foot tiger shark attacked Bethany, taking her arm. She lost a lot of blood about 60percent or more. Her friend’s brother and dad had to rush to the truck because their cellphones were in there. He had to break the window because the doors were locked, he grabbed a cellphone and called the ambulance. After she was out of the hospital her dad really encouraged her to surf again with one arm. Her friend and her went to this place that the children were unhappy the whole group helped the children overcome their fear. There was one little boy that was afraid of water and Bethany wanted to help him so she got a surf board and got him to come to the surfboard. When it was time for the crew to leave, the little boy was in the water playing. At home Bethany decided to give surfing another chance she entered a surfing contest. In the end of the contest she thought she couldn’t do it anymore. She went home and on her way to the truck three girls asked for her autograph but instead Bethany gave them all her surfboards. At the end of the movie Bethany was a professional surfer again, and to get there her family supported her to get more strength in that one arm so she could balance better. She won some trophies again and had a good life. I love this movie because it really got my attention when she has only one arm but still went back to what she has always loved. She never gave up, she did but her family gave her enough support to go back to surfing again.