Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | Teen Ink

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials MAG

September 19, 2015
By Cburghokie GOLD, Christiansburg, Virginia
Cburghokie GOLD, Christiansburg, Virginia
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Some people just need a high five, in the face, with a chair.


“Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials,” based on the book by James Dashner, is finally here. Being a fan of the book, I was very excited to see it in theaters. Sadly, the movie doesn’t live up to the book. Had the movie not been named “The Scorch Trials,” someone would have thought it was “Walking Dead: the Movie.”

There are parts that I enjoyed, but other than those few moments, this movie is pretty pointless. There is absolutely no plot, and it is too predictable.

It is obvious from the beginning what is going to happen. It comes as no surprise that Thomas (Dylan O’Brien) acted selflessly in every situation (nothing wrong with that), that he would have a near-death experience, and almost get shot and captured. Then, he barely escapes and comes out looking like nothing has happened, while everyone else looks gross and broken. One of the most annoying parts is the fact that you couldn’t go two minutes without the characters dropping a curse word.

Honestly, I don’t think that the writers could have made some of the characters any dumber. Some parts, like the instance when Thomas and Brenda (Rosa Salazar) decide to go down the infected tunnel rather than the right exit Thomas found mere moments ago, made me think, “Could anybody really be this foolish?” Did they honestly think they would find the exit through the dark, gross tunnel and not run into a Crank?

Speaking of Cranks, the movie completely messes up those characters. Instead of looking like infected human beings, they looked like zombies from “The Walking Dead,” and the animation reminded me of the Disney Channel movie “Spy Kids.” I really don’t think the Cranks could have been any worse or any more gross. This is by far one of the most disgusting movies I have seen, and I regret seeing it. Nowhere in the book was it supposed to be this nauseating.

So all-in-all, this movie just didn’t hit home for me. I wouldn’t recommend it, especially if you have read the books. Sadly, just like the Cranks, this movie was just too dumb and too gross.

The author's comments:

I loved the Maze Runner series, and I loved the first movie. So I went to watch The Scorch Trials hoping to come home and be able to write a good review. But after leaving that theater, I just felt disappointed. The movie did no justice to the book, and I am still very disappointed by this outcome of the movie,