Daylight | Teen Ink

Daylight

By BecksJ GOLD, Teaneck, New Jersey
BecksJ GOLD, Teaneck, New Jersey

Sylvester Stallone: an actor primarily known for his action roles such as Rocky Balboa in the Rocky series and John Rambo in the Rambo saga. The first time I saw him in a movie was in Spy Kids 3 as the insane antagonist “The Toymaker”. As a child, I associated the characters that actors played with their acting ability. Therefore, I believed Mr. Stallone was only capable of playing tough, aggressive characters. It was not until I watched Daylight when I saw his capability as an actor to play versatile characters.

Directed by Rob Cohen, Daylight follows a group of commuters as they venture out of the crushed Holland Tunnel. In this 1996 disaster film, Stallone plays the rescuer, Kit Latura, who goes into the wrecked tunnel to save the survivors. Stallone plays the hero without being intimidating or abrasive, as seen in his characters Cobra in Cobra and Barney Ross in The Expendables. This movie is truly one to see if you need some convincing on the notable actor’s acting skills.

Besides the aforementioned realizations, the movie is one to keep you at the edge of your seat. Living in the tristate area and always commuting into the New York City makes this movie plot a potential reality; on any given day, a freak accident can occur and the Holland Tunnel can cave in. Even if you do not live around NYC, the likelihood of any accident happening that would put you in danger is high. The questions about the commuters’ survival was swarming in my mind during every scene. Will they make it out by daylight? Will the rest of the tunnel cave in? Was Kit’s decision to rescue the people selfless or suicide? The only way to answer those questions is the watch the movie. Enjoy!