Invictus | Teen Ink

Invictus

South Africa has just broken free from apartheid  and is now facing the challenge of rebuilding the country. With Mandela as the new leader of South Africa he is now facing one of the many challenges as South Africa’s president and he needs to bring back an old rugby team for his country to win the world cup. While this seems like a straightforward plan not many of the South Africans agree with their president’s decision because the team was created by in the time of apartheid. Many of the colored south Africans do not feel that this a good decision because the team represents apartheid to them with an all white team and only one black player. Mandela has a very difficult challenge convincing his people that this is the best decision.

I would say that this is more of a historical movie than an educational movie because even though it is about South Africa and many students learn about this in school it is more about the history than a class lesson. But I feel that this is a slow moving movie that slowly builds it’s plot because there is no real villain in the movie except for Mandela’s challenge with the team and winning the World Cup.

I would  recommend this movie to other students because it is educational showing one of the many hardships Mandela faced pleasing his people and trying to help his country at the same time. I also like it, and I think other students would like it for this reason as well, because it shows some of Mandela’s thoughts and it also reveals the best side of Mandela always smiling and greeting everyone he meets.

I also like this movie because the actor’s did an outstanding  job of playing their characters and put in so much effort in the movie. I even found the end scene of the movie when the players gave every bit of energy they had to win the world cup for their country. I really believed that the actors were real rugby players because they they played with so much effort,  spirit, the way they were covered in dirt, and how tired they looked after the game