Guardians of the Galaxy | Teen Ink

Guardians of the Galaxy

By NotBraden GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas
NotBraden GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas

Use the force, harry-Gandalf
Drop out this week- Johnny B
I remember my days on the street-Mr B

James Gunn brings in one of Marvel’s newest comics into a high-speed, emotional, and comedy filled movie. He brings in multiple well-known faces of Hollywood this time around with Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta, Vin Diesel as Groot, and John Reilly as Corpsman. James Gunn did a very good job keeping the movie interesting without the film moving too slow.

Guardians of the Galaxy follow Peter Quill “Star Lord” as he forms an unconventional alliance with a group of extraterrestrial outcasts who are trying to escape after stealing a powerful artifact. The guardians meet together for the first time after Gamora, Zoe Saldana, ambushes Star Lord and steals the orb. A fight ensues, drawing in a pair of bounty hunters( the genetically engineered raccoon Rocket and the tree-like humanoid Groot). The Nova Corps arrest all four, which leads them to meet Drax. This is the beginning of the long journey for the Guardians. The movie premiered in Hollywood on July 21, 2014; it was a box office success.

As mentioned above James Gunn did a very good job directing the movie, but the special effects department who worked on the movie did a great job keeping the characters looking proper and not out of place. Their work really shows well in the final battle scene of the movie. With many computer-generated aircrafts and explosions keeping the background looking tip top was probably a big issue in post-production. The actors’ make-up during these high intensity scenes did not falter, meaning the extraterrestrial characters looked just as detailed in non-action scenes as they did in more active moments.

The film didn’t have any major shortcomings. The only problem being Groot originally spoke. I will admit I did not know this fact right from the start, but after finding out I wish he would have said at least a few more lines. This was easily forgotten though because Groot’s one famous line in the movie adds to the charm of his character.

I will continue to watch the movie in the future. It was a very good movie experience even though I was delayed to watch it by a “few” months. The actors, director, and the rest of the production team made a really enjoyable movie.  So good, in fact, that I am really pumped for the movie’s upcoming sequel in 2017. My final rating for this movie will be  9.9 Howard Ducks out of 10.