Into the Woods | Teen Ink

Into the Woods

We've all heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for." The new movie, Into the Woods, portrays this saying on a directly. This modern remake of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales, flips happily-ever-after upside down on itself. Soon an old haggard crone becomes a heroine, Prince Charming a seducer and quandaries of love, blame and right are raised.

Into the Woods, starring Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp and Emily Blunt, was released December 25, 2014. The screen adaptation of the original Stephen Sondheim-James Lapine musical weaves together in elaborate detail the famous fairy tales of Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood and a story of a cursed baker and his wife in a turbulent yet dream-like drama. Even the introductory scene grabs your attention with the beauty of lyrics that so superbly debuts the characters.

This movie was excellent. The music and songs are brilliant, the acting is wonderful and the plot is more captivating than the average fairy-tale. The original happily-ever-afters are thrown out the window. Death and conflict add depth and make the movie relatable to real-life. The thought-provoking themes add wonder and make Into the Woods much more than a"feel-good" movie. This movie is not for everyone because of its fairy tale nature, but thinkers and musical-lovers everywhere will enjoy it.

I give the movie a 9 out 10: the lyrics were well written, the costumes are gorgeous and comedious lines add a light-hearted nature. I, for one, really like to know the characters of books and movie I read or watch. The challenges and themes of the movie develop the characters. Each one has a unique personality.

Into the Woods is a beautiful movie. It is full of subtle humor and even some not quite so subtle as well as powerful quotes especially by Prince Charming who plays a rather shocking character though not a super large role. "I was raised to be charming, not sincere" he says, and his song, "Agony," is sure to make everyone laugh for the ridiculous nature of it. I highly recommend it, though not for all. Know yourself. If you appreciate stunning music, powerful lyrics, twisting plot and if you revel in the power of words this movie is sure to be a hit.

Works Cited
"Into the Woods." Metacritic. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.
"Into the Woods." Rotten Tomatoes. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.
"Quotes." IMDb. IMDb.com. Web. 24 Feb. 2015.

MLA formatting by BibMe.org.