Guardians Of The Galaxy | Teen Ink

Guardians Of The Galaxy

By ccb1996 SILVER, Crowley, Texas
ccb1996 SILVER, Crowley, Texas

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't have high hopes for this movie. There was a lot of head-scratching after seeing the preview at the theater. "So let me get this right," I thought to myself. "We have a Hans Solo-esque bandit, a green alien woman, a warrior-wrestler dude, a talking raccoon, and a.... tree? And Marvel expects this to be their next hit?" Seemed just like a sure cash grab to me, a worthless movie that was destined to be decidedly unentertaining.

Boy, I was wrong.

Blend together a motley crew of rough but lovable characters, a lot of '80s music, a good wallop of sci-fi, and a huge dash of comedy, then voila! You have Guardians of the Galaxy, which is the most rip-roaring fun blockbuster in a long time. It may even be the best Marvel Cinematic Universe entry so far (move over, Avengers!) What makes Guardians awesome is that it's the sum of its parts, which you would never dream could fit together so perfectly. Seriously, who knew a talking tree could be so funny with only three words?

But enough of that, let's talk about the plot (Though you'd be excused for not noticing because of the great acting chemistry)! Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), abducted by aliens after his mother's death on earth in 1988, finds his next big cash haul in the present day. There's an orb sitting pretty on an abandoned planet. But it's no ordinary orb, for many are trying to get their hands on it - including a notorious warrior named Ronan The Accused. Soon we discover it's one of the Infinity Stones, a gem with great power like the Tessaract in The Avengers. Peter Quill realizes he must keep it out of the wrong hands along with his new "friends" - Rocket and Groot, bounty hunters tracking down Quill for his boss; Gamora, tasked with retrieving the orb for Ronan but who has other plans; and Drax, who wants revenge on Ronan for killing his family. Together, they jet from planet to planet to keep the orb while trying not to kill one another. And, in spite of themselves, they become friends and band together to save the galaxy from Ronan.

If you are looking for a good time, you've definitely found the right movie. Guardians Of The Galaxy is wildly entertaining with something for everyone. Chris Pratt turns in a hilarious star-making role that should have earned him nominations at the recent award shows. And don't forget James Gunn's directing and writing for making an obscure comic series into a cultural phenomenon. If there's already a line to get in to the first showing of GOTG 2, you'll see me at the front of it! FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS ****

Rick grimms said...
on Mar. 3 2015 at 6:25 am
Caaaaaaarrrrrrrllllllls