She's the Man | Teen Ink

She's the Man

By hi60179 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
hi60179 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Everyone has a secret but usually it is not stealing your twin brother’s identity over a soccer issue. She’s The Man, filmed in 2006 starring Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum, is a very modernized take on William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. The movie clearly displays the same love story and plot as Twelfth Night but worded and presented differently so that our generation could understand more easily. This film was a great production fitting multiple genres such as comedy, romance, sport, and a little bit of drama.

The events displayed in this movie reenact Twelfth Night in a spectacular way. Mainly this movie describes a love story between five people if you include Amanda Bynes playing Viola and playing Viola dressed as Sebastian her twin brother. Multiple movies have retold familiar stories such as The Oz Great and Powerful which took a modern take on The Wizard of Oz.

Adapted from Twelfth Night in 2006 by Andy Fickman She’s the Man is a well written movie that received mainly 6 out of 10 or more by multiple people. This production also has made $33.7 million in the box office since it has out, and is a classic.

In the beginning, Viola(Amanda Bynes) along with her soccer teammates find out when they show up to practice that their team has cut due to not enough girls signing up. The girls team then gets denied by the boys team coach for being girls .Viola then breaks up with her boyfriend for denying her being “as good as half the players on his team”. When she gets home that day she finds out that her brother Sebastian who is supposed to be going to college in two weeks is actually heading to England to play in his band.That gives her an idea. Soon after she gets her friend Paul to disguise her as her brother to go to his college to make the soccer team and prove she can be as good as the guys.While she is there another girl(Olivia) falls in love with her(Viola) dressed as her brother Sebastian, Viola falls in love with her roommate(Duke), and Duke is torn between Olivia and Viola. Throughout the rest of the movie there are more up’s and down’s but everything turns out okay.

All in all, She’s The Man is a well written film that is great as a family movie or to help you better understand the storyline for Twelfth Night. As for my personal opinion I love this movie and cannot stop watching it. I would suggest this movie to just about anyone.

hi60179 BRONZE said...
hi60179 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
@RealRiter thank you!

RealRiter GOLD said...
on Feb. 19 2015 at 1:47 am
RealRiter GOLD, Astoria, Oregon

"I did not fail 101 times, but I simply found 101 ways that did not work." -Thomas Edison

Good review, saw your ask for a comment on chat.