Footloose | Teen Ink

Footloose

By tatum2018 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
tatum2018 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

In 1984 people of all different ages were kicking off their Sunday shoes and watching the newly released movie Footloose, and twenty years later people are still watching it. Shocked the world was when they came out with a new modernized version of Footloose in 2011. Many questions arose like; who could top Kevin Bacon’s performance? Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough together ended up doing a phenomenal performance in the 2011 Footloose. Both of the movies had their differences; they also had highs and lows.

The main difference was with Ren’s mom, a strong single mother who supported Ren in everything thing he did. From Chicago Ren and his mom moved to his aunt’s and uncle’s together in the 1984 Footloose. 2011’s version of Footloose tells us Ren’s mom dies in Boston of leukemia so his aunt and uncle agree to take Ren in. I think the second version was more effective by his movement, trying to bring back dancing in the small town of Bomont. After being in Bomont for a short amount of time, Ren and Chuck were having a showdown with with buses. While in the original version they have a showdown with tractors. This is one example of how the second movie is more modernized the older movie.

Some more examples are some of the most obvious but people don’t realize them because we are so used to the technology we use today. When Ren is teaching Willard how to dance, in the first movie they are using an 80’s boombox, and in the second Willard was using an Ipod. Also the music, the cars, the high school, and many more details from the movie is modernized to the twentieth century.

Even though the movies were different in their own way. There were surveys that said it was about an even split on who likes which movie better. Some people liked how the newer movie was modernized, but some liked the older version better. The 2011 version is better in my opinion. I think Julianne Hough did an amazing job as the rebellious, preacher's daughter, Kenny Wormald also did a great job at following up Kevin Bacon. This movie is a great family and kids movie. So if you haven’t seen one of these movies or maybe even both! Kick off your Sunday shoes and watch one of these amazingly well put together movies.