The Interview | Teen Ink

The Interview MAG

January 9, 2015
By Kaitiebug BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
Kaitiebug BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

  After months of Sony debating the validity of system hacking threats from North Korea (with major controversy from the public, I might add), “The Interview” was finally allowed limited release in art house theaters across America. Theater owners chose to support First Amendment rights and not succumb to threats by the North Korean government to bomb theaters that screened the movie.

“The Interview” employs stunts and suspense similar to what you see in “Gone Girl.” The camera shakes and catches the characters as they dash through conference rooms, control rooms, and hotel suites. For more than 10 years, Seth Rogen, co-director Evan Goldberg, and screenwriter Dan Sterling developed the story, perfecting its bromantic comedy feel and touch of action and suspense.

To make the movie worth the trouble and expense, it needed a flawless cast; Rogen and co-star James Franco fit the bill perfectly. Although we have seen Franco as a comedy actor in “Spring Breakers” and “This Is the End,” he shows his serious and subtle side in an emotional scene with Randall Park, who plays North Korea’s supreme leader, Kim Jong-un. Once again, Franco shows he can fit any role and do an excellent job with it.

Manic newsman Dave Skylark (Franco) convinces his producer, Aaron Rapaport (Rogen), to set up an interview with North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong-un after learning that their talk show is his favorite. Before the two head to North Korea, the CIA asks them to assassinate Jong-un by poisoning him during their interview. The CIA has them practice how the assignment will unravel and they quickly discover that these two men are complete idiots and are unlikely to complete the mission successfully. The trouble starts when they discover Jong-un has a human side and is not the tyrant the U.S. portrays him to be.

Overall, the movie is hysterical. Yes, it does have some vulgar language and scenes, but that’s the type of movie you get from Seth Rogen. To North Koreans “The Interview” is highly offensive because it mocks their leader, but in America, the land of equal opportunity, no one is too supreme to be ridiculed.

 

This film is rated R.