Interstellar Receives Great Reviews | Teen Ink

Interstellar Receives Great Reviews

By Logan11Morrison SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Logan11Morrison SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Interstellar, starring Matthew Mcconaughey and Anne Hathaway, hit theatres on November 5th in the U.S. The movie so far has grossed about $144 million.

The filming for this movie started in late 2013 with a budget of $165 million. Directed by Christopher Nolan and written by Nolan and his brother, Jonathan Nolan, the movie follows Cooper, an astronaut turned farmer.

In Interstellar, Cooper is contacted by a secret project conducted by NASA and is asked to leave his family behind in order to save the human race.

The movie’s plot is about a dying Earth devastated by drought and famine. Facing extinction, a team of explorers, including Mcconaughey as Cooper and Hathaway as Brand, must set out on a journey across the galaxy to find a habitable planet for the humans to live on. This adventure includes journeys through black holes, visits to other planets, and open space travel adventure.

This movie received mostly positive reviews including a 74% critic review on Rotten Tomatoes and a 9 out of 10 on IMDB (International Movie Database). On IMDB’s top 250 movies of all time  list, this movie made the cut at number 11, sharing the top 20 with classics like The Lord of the Rings and Fight Club.

Many critics loved Interstellar including Lisa Kennedy of the Denver Post, who wrote, “Interstellar is as cinematically epic as it is dramatically intimate.”

Some critics thought otherwise, however, like Joe Morgenstern of the Wall Street Journal, who wrote, “Christopher Nolan’s 168-minute odyssey through the space-time continuum is stuffed with stuff of bewildering wrongness.”

Many like Morgenstern critiqued the science behind Interstellar and think it’s ideas are farfetched.

Max Peterson was impressed by the movie, “The effects are really realistic and they explain the science in the movie really well. Even if the events, like travelling through black holes, are impossible.”