Silver Linings Playbook | Teen Ink

Silver Linings Playbook

By emma.rose GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
emma.rose GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

“Silver Linings Playbook” is an amazing debut novel written by Matthew Quick. The film was a quality adaptation, released December 25, 2012, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper.

The book contains vibrant characters expressed through the eyes of Pat Peoples. After losing everything, Pat spends time in a mental institution. Throughout his time in the mental institution, he changes both mentally and physically in hopes of repairing his relationship with his wife.

He is eventually released into the custody of his parents--his loving, forgiving mother and his stubborn, cold father. A neighbor and the sister-in-law of an old pal, Tiffany, a little nutty herself, observes Pat’s methods of regaining his life. An unlikely friendship blooms between them. Pat struggles with the relationships being forced upon him, yet he continues to grow.

In the jagged romantic comedy, Bradley Cooper plays Pat Solatano, referred to in the book as Pat Peoples. Cooper is convincing in the role of a troubled man reconfiguring his life. He expresses the anger accurately as described in the book.

Jennifer Lawrence was inspiring in the film. She embodied the unhinged Tiffany perfectly. Her blunt character and unknown wittiness gave life to the film. Lawrence received an Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. The film was nominated for eight Academy Award nominations. In total “Silver Linings Playbook” won 93 awards and 113 nominations.

There are lessons to be learned within both the novel and film. It shows that unlikely friendships are often the most rewarding. From the help of his family and friends Pat is healed and comes to peace with the truth. It also shows you can gain more from helping others than focusing on yourself. Once Pat dedicates his time to helping Tiffany he betters himself unknowingly.

In the film, Cooper as Pat Solatano, says, “The world will break your heart ten ways to Sunday. That's guaranteed. I can't begin to explain that. Or the craziness inside myself and everyone else. But guess what? Sunday's my favorite day again. I think of what everyone did for me, and I feel like a very lucky guy.”