Dawn of the Planet of Apes | Teen Ink

Dawn of the Planet of Apes

By Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other
Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other

Since no one rather cared for this movie and don't like Apes on horses, my review on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is an example of how rich Sci-Fi movies have come to be. Dawn takes place a decade after the events of Rise, the simian plague has reached through out the world and we come to see the situation of the remaining humans. Apes, however, are home to their forest wherein Caesar (played by Andy Serkis) is the leader.

Earth is a frightening apocalyptic world for the humans, we are then introduced to Dreyfus (played by Gary Oldman) and his group of survivors as they are struggling especially when an accident occurs that may lead to a war between the Apes.

Dawn is a definitive sequel and gladly takes you to the edge of your seat in it's 2 hour run time. The writing and pacing is great, unexpected sequences are handled well. There are moments where scenes feel calm, but in a matter of seconds these are changed with startling outcomes. The movie depicts realism. It gives emotional and sometimes heart-breaking scenes, both in the human and ape side.

The CGI was unoticable. Not in a bad way, but rather in a good way.
CGI was remarkably executed in the film. There were moments where I forgot it was just a bunch of CGI apes everywhere instead, I thought they were real live apes.

I have a feeling Godzilla won't win the Best Visual Effects Oscar next year, Apes might just bring it home.
The CGI wasn't the only thing that made the Apes great.

This film did what Transformers films failed to do with their Autobots.

The Apes had depth and character, they had feelings and they also felt very human, I actually cared and sympathized for Caesar and his apes, unlike the feeling I get towards the autobots in Bay's Transformers films.

The non-human characters were the stand outs of this film, especially Caesar. He has evolved and become a leader who will do anything for the freedom and peace of the apes.

Malcolm (played by Jason Clarke) and his wife Ellie (played by Keri Russell) gave quite good performances, same goes with Gary Oldman. But they were shadowed by Andy Serkis' remarkable and unforgetable performance as Caesar. The fact that he hasn't won an Oscar, is unbelievable, he stole every moment in the movie whenever he is on screen. Koba (played by Toby Kebbell) was also remarkable, a very unforgetable antagonist, he reminded me of The Winter Soldier in Captain America although Koba was more menacing than ever.

The action sequences were not the typical ones you see in modern blockbusters to date. First of all it was a battle between Apes and Humans, how the apes were handled in the action are rather different and it comes to a point where it feels realistic. The cinematography fits well to the action as well. I could barely remember a scene which was difficult to watch.

The music fits perfectly in the movie, whenever action or suspense kicks in the musical score swells in beautifully.

However, the movie still has it's flaw. The movie starts quite slowly, and there are quite boring scenes. Those were only in the first act, therefore it is a build up for the Second Act and Third Act which were the outstanding parts in the movie.

Dawn is a step for the Sci-Fi movie genre. It's realism and symbolism to the real world is well received.

So far this is the best movie of the great consecutive blockbusters of 2014. It sets the standards for sequels of movies, and how sequels or remakes can have so much potential. I am indeed very excited to see the next sequel and how this may tie up to the Planet of the Apes film.

With it's top notch visuals. Scenes that bring you to the edge of your seat. Amazing acting which brought life to the apes. Breath taking sequences that will be sure to startle you.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes delivers an intelligent and well rounded blockbuster that I would recommend anyone to watch.

Verdict: 10/10