Interstellar | Teen Ink

Interstellar

By ArielEParker BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
ArielEParker BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio

Another dust bowl strikes the world and without vegetation or harvests, and suddenly the planet that had the most abundant life cannot support even the few.

In this Spielberg-esque movie directed by Christopher Nolan of the Dark Knight Trilogy, comes “Interstellar,” the new sci-fi film that has critics raving, calling it the “new ‘2001: Space Oddessy.’” Focusing more on the emotional aspect of natural disasters rather than scientific data, Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway star in this new film about discovering life on other planets. It was released to the general audience on November 7.

“It's a mass audience picture that's intelligent as well as epic, with a sophisticated script that's as interested in emotional moments as immersive visuals,” LA Times writer Kenneth Turan said. It brings a new face to the science fiction movie genre by promoting the human empathy that we all experience. The risk is high, because not only is Cooper (McConaughey) leaving his home planet, where starvation and a risk still reside, but he is also leaving behind his own family that he loves and cares for.

Those who miss the loss and gain that a hero archetype should experience in other films certainly go through it in “Interstellar,” along with beautiful cinematography and worm holes. “‘Interstellar,’ for all its faults, is filled with sequences, moments and concepts worthy of deep, lengthy essays and arguments about morality. All of which will have to come after release,” reviews Devin Faraci of the Badass Digest.

With philosophical discussions to accompany the sci-fi technology, this film blends the two things that audiences crave most: action and the sense of discovering a new world, with the feeling of being small in an open and vast universe.

“Interstellar” is still in theaters, so be sure to watch it with fellow science-fiction nerds.