Blended | Teen Ink

Blended

By ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York
ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York

Not every movie can perfectly blend comedic and emotional scenes in one performance. Frank Coraci's Blended does just that though, and is a great example of this combination that happens to work beautifully. The movie is beautiful story that touches your heart as it unfolds, while still making you laugh the entire time.

The movie opens with a blind date gone wrong, but Jim (Adam Sandler) and Lauren (Drew Barrymore), soon find themselves at a resort in Africa with their kids, where their lives take an unexpected turn. Lauren’s close friend, Jen (Wendi McLendon-Covey), entertains the audience with her exuberant character and awkward advice on how to deal with problems from the disastrous date to falling in love again after a divorce. I love this movie because it starts out light, but as the plot continues, you discover that everything has more meaning than you thought. I find the movie a delightful story with an engaging conflict that the audience wants to be a part of. Although it includes several mature moments, they do not kill the overall presentation or plot of Jim and Lauren's adventure.

One of the lead characters, Jim, is a laid-back parent. He's a huge fan of a variety of sports and tries to pass that passion on to his three daughters. Lauren, another protagonist, is the opposite of Jim. Raising two boys, she is an overprotective parent who is looking for love and someone to help support her children. The daughters of Jim, Hilary (Bella Thorne), Espn (Emma Fuhrman) and Lou (Alyvia Alyn Lind), are three loving girls who care for each other throughout the movie. Lauren's two sons, Brendan (Braxton Beckham) and Tyler (Kyle Red Silverstein) are constantly trying to get away with silly pranks and adventures that throw their overly cautious mom into a frenzy. Although all of the characters do not get along at the beginning of the story, they soon discover that the other person isn't as bad as they expected.

Blended makes use of fairly normal, everyday costumes throughout the movie. The characters are dressed in a style that clearly showcases their personality, another component that is enjoyable! In addition, the acting is a selling point for this movie. The actors all portray their respective roles in a way that touches your heart, while still making you laugh. As you become absorbed in the film, you can tell that each character has more depth than they started out with. Also, Blended was nominated for the People’s Choice Award 2015 for Favorite Comedic Movie, and a Teen Choice Award 2014, Choice Movie: Comedy. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore were nominated for Teen Choice Awards 2014 representing Blended, which are the Choice Movie Actor: Comedy and Choice Movie Actress: Comedy.

Blended is the perfect rom-com for a fairly mature audience to enjoy. You’ll be laughing hysterically and tearing up as you watch this playful film. So, don’t be afraid to grab your popcorn and settle down for a night of comedy and romance!

on Dec. 31 2014 at 1:15 am
Very nice article.