Titanic | Teen Ink

Titanic

By cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York
cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York

"All we ever see or seem is but a dream within a dream"

It's a tale as old as time: the story of star crossed lovers. From Adam and Eve's fatal union, to Romeo and Juliet's woeful romance, the idea of ill-fated amour is not one untouched in the world of film. However, in James Cameron's extraordinary hit movie, Titanic, the only thing more tragic than forbidden love is the most famous shipwreck in American history.

Framed within a flashback, in this movie, Rose Calvert Dawson recalls the story of the love triangle with her hotheaded fiancé, Cal Hockley (Billy Zane), and bohemian artist, Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio), aboard the RMS Titanic. The passionate love of Jack and Rose resonated deep in the hearts of viewers all over the world and quickly became an instant classic. Some of its most prestigious recognitions include 11 Oscars and 4 Golden Globes. In addition, the award-winning score featured "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion. This slow, evocative piece became the theme song for the movie and fit in perfectly with its sad, romantic mood.

Besides its prestige and incredible soundtrack, what I really loved about Titanic was the acting and believability. Kate Winslet portrayed Rose with such passion that I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. From the desperation lacing her eyes in her near-suicide seen, to her lively glow when she folk-dances with Jack in the lower deck, Winslet's performance had me yearning for more of young Rose's story. The only skill that rivaled Kate Winslet's was that of Leonardo DiCaprio. His witty humor, boyish good looks, and award-winning acting left me in search of my own Jack Dawson. Jack was adventurous and lively, with a passion for life that transcended his economical hardships.  This offered an intriguing contrast from Rose, an aristocrat, who could only dream of having his carefree attitude. Together, the two actors created a relationship of incomparable quality. Each lingering gaze and stolen touch made it clear to the viewer that their relationship was no puppy love.  

Not only was it the acting that made the movie believable, but the historical content. James Cameron, the writer, director and producer, hired a full time etiquette coach to teach the cast the behavior and mannerisms typical of 1912. In addition, historical experts analyzed and critiqued the movie's screenplay for accuracy before its release. Even the costumes matched perfectly with the decade, full of realistic detail. These factors came together and visually turned the movie into a historical experience, just as much as a romantic one. 

Other fantastic components of Titanic were the skillful special effects. The scene where the boat hits an iceberg and begins to sink is one of the most important of the film. Even with the amazing acting, costumes and sets, it was this thrilling moment that I anticipated the most. Inch by inch, I watched the RMS Titanic capsize in awe. The model of the ship in this movie was one of the only ones used in a remake that actually depicted the Titanic as splitting in two when it sunk. This heightened the suspense by stretching out the intensity of the scene until both pieces were fully submerged. In addition, computerized people were used to do dangerous jumps off the ship, which created an intense feeling of chaos, much like I imagine the real experience to have been like. But even in the tumult of it all, the movie did not stray from Jack and Rose. The special effects might have recreated the pandemonium of that fateful April morning, but it was their fierce devotion through the tragedy that left me a bleary-eyed and broken-hearted mess by the end credits.

The movie Titanic is one of epic proportions. From the day it hit theaters 17 years ago, it became the ideal model for the contemporary romance film. From set design to line delivery, this picture was an exemplary balance of historical conflict and swoon-worthy romance. Without a doubt, Jack and Rose are an unforgettable duo that will remain locked in the mind of the viewer long past the movie's end.