Silver Linings Playbook | Teen Ink

Silver Linings Playbook

December 14, 2014
By Ishai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Ishai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Surely a drama about mental illness could not be funny, sad, and romantic. Or could it? In screenwriter/director David O. Russell’s movie Silver Linings Playbook, everyone feels a mix of emotions by the time that the final credits roll across the screen. He first gives us a dose of tragedy and drama, then adds a little comedy, and tops it all off with a dollop of love to give all viewers a unique, sweet, and memorable viewing experience.

 

We are drawn into the story immediately when we meet the main character, Pat Solitano Jr. (Bradley Cooper), who has been sent to a mental hospital after he viciously attacked the man that his wife was having an affair with. His mother Dolores (Jacki Weaver) comes to pick him up after an eight month sentence in the institution, and Pat is shoved into a world where he tries to reconcile with his wife and fit back in with his family. Along the way, he makes a friend named Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) and experiences the gambling addiction of his father, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro). The plot twists and turns and evokes about every emotion from laughter to sadness. The actors make the story come to life with gripping performances that validate how fantastically talented they are.
   

This movie brings to light the sad, scary, and very real issue of mental illness. The cast portrays these problems in a way that no other would have been able to. Pat Jr. and his friend Tiffany both display different types of mental diseases- bipolar disorder and depression, respectively. Pat Jr.’s mood changes that often turn violent and Tiffany’s fits of anguish make the plot and the conflict even more realistic. Jennifer Lawrence surprised me as she showed that she had a larger range of acting ability than the angsty teenage heroine role she played in The Hunger Games. The demeanors of both characters let us know how deeply mental illness affects people’s lives. Grief that has fallen upon the families of the protagonists is exhibited by every actor’s facial expression. The wrinkles of Pat Sr. seem to change in every new scene, illustrating the stress that he undergoes. Dolores’s frown of worry grows deeper every time that we see her. The representation of these characters by Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver brings a whole new meaning to hardship.
   

Probably the best thing about this movie is the acting. The way that each and every cast member performs their part to excellence makes the film one of my all-time favorites. Bradley Cooper plays his character Pat Jr. to dastardly perfection as tons of mood swings and mixed up emotions make movie-goers rapidly change how they feel. Jennifer Lawrence’s performance as Tiffany is fantastically moving as she conveys her overwhelming depression with everything from her tone of voice to the way she walks, yelling exasperatedly and stomping around angrily. It comes as no surprise to anyone who has seen the film that she won both a Golden Globe and an Oscar for her part. Additionally, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver bring the problems of being poor full circle by startling watchers with their desperate actions. The fantastic job of the actors makes the movie resound in the minds of all viewers.
   

The other components of the movie make it the unique piece of art that it is. The costumes of all of the characters illustrate the problems that their families have with money. The clothes aren’t nice and fancy. Brand names are a rare sight. This is a jolt to the watchers as it shows them how not only grief is caused by mental illness, but also the lack of money. Different camera angles that put the characters in the side of the frame allows the movie to express the character’s emotions as well as incorporating the setting of the story. The setting is not extravagant at all, and is like another shocking life-like aspect of the movie. The houses are old and decrepit. The furniture is worn. The appliances are nothing fancy. The set of the movie splashes the reader in the face with cold water, and makes us grasp the fact that life isn’t a float down the lazy river for everyone. I love how this movie doesn’t try and sugarcoat anything. It tells about how everything is, not how people wish it would be.
 

Silver Linings Playbook is amazingly creative and meaningful. Between the wonderful actors, interesting camera angles, and fascinating plot lines, there is nothing left to be desired. When you sit down to watch it, be sure to bring tissues for tears of laughter and sadness and let David O. Russell take you on a journey that you will keep in your memory forever.