The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part I | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part I

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

The latest installment in the famous book and movie franchise of The Hunger Games has been realesed, where the third book has been split into two parts. Mockingjay was my least favorite book in the series, and splitting into two parts seemed like an idea that would not work. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part I is vastly superior to it's novel, with excellent performances, and it's allegory against rebellion, war, and government, but is still plagued with a slower pace that comes on short of the brilliant action in the first two installments.

After the events of the Quarter Quell, which led to the devastation of The Hunger Games and District 12 in ruins Katniss Everdeen awakes in the seemingly destroyed District 13. She learns that a secret rebellion is spreading through Panem against President Snow and the Capitol, where she is convinced to become the symbol of the rebellion, while also trying to save Peeta from the Capitol.

The biggest highlight that this franchise has is it's outstanding performance of the lead actress portraying Katniss Everdeen, Jennifer Lawrence. Katniss is thrown into a dilemma that she never intended, as she becomes the face of the rebellion as the Mockingjay. The only way she is willing to do that is to save the people she loves. But as she continues to be the Mockingjay, Katniss is determined to save not only the ones she loves, but the other Districts as well. Jennifer Lawrence is able capture all of the struggles that the character is facing. She delivers a very haunting and determined performance that raises steps up the ante, delivering a vivid and explosive performance. The best way Jennifer Lawrence shows that she is perfect for this role is when her character sings this song called "The Hanging Tree". The result of her singing and the impact it has on the rebellion leads to the best scene in the movie, and easily the best scene in The Hunger Games franchise.

The supporting character is the film also step it up a notch in their level of performance. Josh Hutcherson is able to capture the torture and pain that Peeta Mellark that the Capitol causes on him in the very little scenes that he is in. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy is more of a mentor/friend to Katniss, and the only one who understands the dilemma that Katniss is facing. The late Philip Seymour Hoffman is back as Plutarch Heavensbee, delivering a performance where he is a key supporter in the rebellion through his knowledge in the Capitol, and is able to lighten any dark situations. One of the most surprising return has to be Elizabeth Bank's Effie Trinket, who is absent for the most part in the book. She is given a different and larger story.

The new characters found in District 13 have an essential part of the story and the events in the next two films. District 13 is the face of the rebellion, the ones who for many years has planned to gain freedom from the totalitarian government of the Capitol. Now for the first time in forever, they have that chance. The most important is Julianne Moore's demanding performance as President Coin, the leader of District 13. She is able to influence her power against everyone. One things that I noticed is that the way she controls her people is very similar to the totalitarianism of President Snow's rule. District 13 will definitely influence the next installment of the film.

The best part of The Hunger Games films, specifically Catching Fire, improved on the novels were the political subtext. This adaptions continues the tradition, as it fully captures the subtext in ways that the book didn't. It continues to show Donald Sutherland's President Snow manipulating and trying to control the world of Panem. But because of the image of Katniss and the Mockingjay, we are able to see the rebellion grow around the Districts. Unlike in the novel, we are able to see the rebellion fight for what is right and their opportunity for freedom and justice.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 1 does not feel like an action film or a young adult film. It feels like a war film. The best political subtext that the film added was that as both sides are building up propaganda in order to have supporters, similar to what nations do in time of war. There is even an allegory for the Vietnam War, as Katniss and soldiers of the rebellion are being followed by a film crew who are capturing every moment of their actions. These political subtext are one of the things that saves this movie from being a step down of the franchise, and instead help in setting up the big finale in the next film of the franchise.

The film doing a great job of setting up the next installment, and is able to keep you invested for the next film. Unfortunately, that is basically the whole film. This is all set up and no action. For fans who expected to see some exciting action scenes that is based on a war battle, they will be disappointed to know that there is only very little action in the film. This causes the movie to have a much slower pace than the other installments, and it may cause some audience to be bored with it. This is because they decided to split the film into two parts. One of the main problem of this film is in it's title: Part 1. This film did not to be split into two parts, and the film would've been much stronger.

Although the film may be weakened by its slow pace and it's unnecessary splitting of two parts, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 1 is a good set up for the next installment with its excellent characters, outstanding performance, and it's political subtext, as well as vastly improving upon the novel. 4/5 stars.