Mockingjay Book and Movie Review | Teen Ink

Mockingjay Book and Movie Review

By SiennaD BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
SiennaD BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

“Fire is catching, and if we burn you burn with us.” The book began with Katniss and Gale in District 12, looking at what remains of their beloved home. The book takes you on a journey with Katniss, Gale, Finnick, Peeta, Boggs, and many other people as they try to run the capital out of business. The more you read the more you want to read because there is always something interesting happening, whether it’s a love scene or its a war scene, where there are soldiers fighting to the death, you will always be in suspense of what will happen next as you read the book. In my opinion the book was better.

In the book, Suzanne Collins, makes you think that Boggs is has a white skin color and that he is this big muscular guy but, in the movie the director decided that Boggs was going to be a black colored man who is not so muscular. The director probably made this choice because he didn’t the movie to be exactly like the book. He probably also wanted to throw off his viewers, mostly aiming for the ones who read the book, by making Boggs black and not that muscular. During the bombing in District 8 according to the book Katniss took out the earpiece that she was using to communicate with Haymitch when she went to go help fight to protect the people of 8. In the movie Katniss doesn’t take out the earpiece and Gale and Katniss just run to help fight. I think that the director left this part out because he thought that these parts weren’t that important to the story line of the Mockingjay movie.  During the bombing in the book, Katniss and everybody in District 13 is in a room like area with beds that are indented into the wall verses in the book everyone was on bunk beds all in the same area. The director probably this so then the viewers could see all of the characters at the same time. In the book there is a scene where Finnick and Katniss are talking outside of their rooms and what happens is Finnick gives Katniss a rope, one that is similar to his, to tie knots with. The director of Mockingjay left this part of the book out probably because they didn’t feel that it was that important to the whole story line. In the book Effie Trinket does not come into the whole story line until the very ending. In the movie Effie came in from the very beginning. I think that the director decided to bring Effie into the movie sooner than the book because he felt that the viewers would want to see her sooner rather than later. In the movie it had the scene where Gale and the other soldiers went to get Peeta, Annie, and Johanna from the capitals prision thing but in the book it didn’t say how they were rescued. The director of the movie added this scene in because he felt that this would help the viewers get a better feel of why it was so easy to rescue the victors.

I think that the director made some good choices about what he did with the whole movie. I think that the newer characters that he chose to star in the movie were a good choice. He was smart about where to end the movie because most of the viewers expected the movie to end right on the part where Peeta chokes Katniss but instead the movie ends on another part. I think that this was a good thing and I guess I liked where the movie ended but, I think that if the director ended the movie right at the part where Peeta choked Katniss the viewers would have been a little bit happier about the place where it ended.

In my opinion I think that the book was better. I just liked the way that things were described in the book. I feel that the book gave me a realer sense of what the readers were thinking and how they were feeling. Now don’t get me wrong the movie was awesome and all but I just feel like the book was better. I think that I would have liked the movie a little bit more if they included all of the same scenes that the book did because the book had some really good events that happened.