MockingJay Movie vs. Book | Teen Ink

MockingJay Movie vs. Book

December 5, 2014
By Thaze BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Thaze BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Rebel or not to rebel, who will emerge victorious. Which was better the movie or the book. Katniss wakes up in district 13, alive! But with Peeta in the capitals hands she must do everything she can to get him out, and be the spark of the rebellion. Is she up to the task?

There were three main differences between the book and the movie. The first one was rebels in district seven were going out to do extra work in the lumberyard. But when a guy from district seven whistles the "Mockingjay" tune all his companions climb up the nearest tree and blow up the peacekeepers trying to shoot them on the ground. The second main difference was when one of the districts rebels stormed the dam and set explosives to cut off the capitals power. This was a key in extracting Peeta and the other victors out of the victor’s hall.  Which is the third event I am going to be talking about. When district 13 sent in the special ops team to evacuate Peeta, Annie, and Johanna. In the book Susan Collins did not go into much depth when bogg?s and his team extracted the victors. But I thought it was a good idea to add that in that part to end off the movie. Even though the book did not describe any of these parts in detail. It was still a good part to add because it built up the importance of the "Mockingjay".

Two actor choices that kind of threw off the movie were Boggs and Pollux. When I was reading the book Boggs sounded like a thick white man. But when I saw the movie it caught me off guard that they used Mahershala Ali. Also when reading the book I thought of Pollux as a skinny black guy because of his status as an avox. It changed my view when I saw him as Elden Henson. It showed me that anyone could and would be tourtured by the capital. I thought that the director Francis Lawrence stopped the movie at a good time because I would rather wait for the next movie to come out than the director have to fit the entire book into a two or three hour movie.


I thought that both the book and the movie were good in different ways. The book was very detailed and explained each part. But the movie had vivid details and added extra parts to increases the suspense. I would recommend that you watch the movie first then read the book because if you read the book first it’s kind of a spoiler alert. I hope that this helps you make a decision.