Interstellar | Teen Ink

Interstellar

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

Christopher Nolan's latest science fiction space adventure has launched into theaters with Interstellar. This film was easily my most anticipated movie to be released in 2014. Upon hearing tjr mixed but mostly positive reaction from critics, the anticipation level stated to wear down. Christopher Nolan's latest film may have its flaws, but it is rounded out by excellent performances, gorgeous visual effects, and emotional storytelling with an exciting space adventure.

In the not too distant future, Earth is dying, causing many drought, famine, and dust storms that causes a small source of food. When humanity faces extinction, a wormhole is discovered that could lead to the potential of planets for the survival of the human race, where they must supass the limitation of space travel and go into an interstellar voyage to the unknown. A former NASA pilot/engineer turned farmer named Cooper makes the tough decision of seeing his children for the last time in order to save the human race, while  promising to his daughter Murphy that he will return.

The greatest strength that Interstellar has is the performances that the actors give, serving as a great human element that the film has. Matthew McConaughey does an excellent portrayal of Cooper, as he captures both the concern of a father who wants to see his children once more and the concern of a man who wants to save the human race, including his children. Mathew McConaughey also gives enough charisma and likability in order to connect and relate to the character.

The biggest aspect of his character is his relationship between his daughter Murph, portrayed by child actress Makenzie Foy. Both McConaughey and Foy are able to capture the excellent bond that was formed on Earth, showing the love of a parent to a children.The relationship between Cooper and Murph is the biggest aspect that the film needs, as it helps brings all of the scientific theories and space adventure and bring it down into an emotional storytelling. It helps ground all of the aspect and give it a human story, which is the biggest strength that Interstellar has. Instead of being a film focused on science fiction and theories, it tries to focus more on how the space adventure that Cooper is going through be affected with his love of his children.

The other supporting characters in the film do a great job in supporting the character of Cooper throughout the space adventure. Anne Hathaway does an excellent job as Amelia Brand, who struggles on with going through the mission based on facts and evidence or through emotion. The biggest standout were these two robots known as TARS and CASE, who provide some of the most humorous aspect in the film. There is also this other supporting character who I will not spoil, but this character is essential in setting up most of an aspect of a film, and the character does an excellent job in their role.

The film is mostly about how the human emotions are able to affect the space adventure. So naturally, the first act of the film is to set up the characters and the world they live in. It is not until the second and third act where the audience are finally able to see the space adventure and interstellar travel. Thankfully, the build up is well worth the wait, as the space adventure deliver some of the most exciting, thrilling and tense moments of the film. There are many moments where the audience are left with uncertainty, as there are many moments that will shock audience. One of the thing people will discuss is how unpredictable the space adventure becomes.

What adds to the exhilarating aspect of the space adventure are the visual effects. For those who thought that the visual effects for Gravity were mind-blowing, then they have yet to experience this film. The visual effect are beautiful and breathtaking, perfectly capturing the world that the explorers go through. One of the best showcase are the wormhole sequences. The wormhole sequences are one of the best space traveling sequence that are reminiscent to 2001: A Space Odyssey. What definitely helps showcase the best of the visuals are the spectacular IMAX sequences. IMAX sequences alone is what makes this an amazing theater experience, and this is a film that must be viewed through IMAX screens.

Interstellar is a film that is almost a masterpiece. Almost. Although the film is exciting, thrilling and epic filled with gorgeous visual effect and excellent performance, it would be a loss of integrity if the  flaws for the film were ignored. One of the flaws is that there are a couple scenes that could have easily been cut out of the film, as it doesn't really have an effect on the story, which would make the runtime of the film much shorter. Also, despite Hans Zimmer wonderful and mesmerizing score that fits into the film perfectly, there are some sound mixing problems that makes some dialogue hard to understand. Finally The last flaw in the film is that there are some aspect of the third act that can be seen as divisive and problematic to some, but breathtaking and ingenious to others. Personally, some aspects of the third act had some problems, but overall fit very well into the story and the space adventure that the characters were going through . Because of these flaws, this can easily make Interstellar one of his most divisive film, where some will love the film while others will not.

Despite some of it's flaws, Interstellar should be applauded for how ambition and different that Christopher Nolan attempted throughout the film. This is easily his most ambitious film, as he attempts and succeeds into trying to get scientific theories from astrophysicist into the big screen. For those that complain about the science of the film, one should be noted that these theories are actually theories from actual sciences, such as famous astrophysicist  Kip Thorne, a consultant for the film. The way Nolan was able to demonstrate these theories and make it a way in audience can understand should be noted for the detail he puts. The last aspect that Nolan should be applauded is how different this is from other films. Nolan has had criticism of having great film that doesn't really have an emotional storytelling to his films. However, this is easily the film that all of the events are based on the emotion of the characters, specifically the relationship between Cooper and his daughter Murphy.

Interstellar has many flaws, there is no denying that. However, this is a very different and ambitious film from director Christopher Nolan, filled with excellent performances, gorgeous visual effects, and emotional storytelling with an exciting space adventure that is one of the best theater experiences of the year. This is a great theater experience that makes it one of the best of the year. 4.5/5 stars

kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

I agree wholeheartedly! Sure, there were flaws, but it still remains my personal favorite Nolan film, and I'm gonna remember how amazing it was for a LONG time!